New build and need GPU answers

Fathomthis1

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Just trying to make a new build list and thus far i have the cpu and mobo but im stuck as far as what gpu to get.

Im a noob when it comes to overclocking and SLi but its something i want to try with this computer. But my main questions are without breaking the bank, what GPU should i get. I dont want to spend over to much so is it better to go with a single gpu setup or can i keep it under $500 and make it worth going SLi? Or should i spend $300 on a single card?

The CPU i want is an i5-3570k and the mobo is the asrock x77 extreme4 LGA

So far this is all i have. Ive owned radeon cards before and didnt really have any issues but im leaning towards EVGA geforce cards this time.

And that brings up my other question is whats the difference as far as crossfire and SLi... to my seems SLi might be better?

Thanks for any responses

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you go with a rather high-end pair of cards, dual cards will tend to exhibit 'micro-stutter' issues in some games. Especially AMD cards. If you are the 'noob' you claim to be, by all means stick with a good single card. At $500, your picks aren't limited very much. Here's where Tom's Hdwr ranks them for gaming:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Nvidia's SLI and AMD's Crossfire are two different approaches to the same end; allowing two (or more) cards to team up to do the job. Stick with one high end card for now. Later you can always add a 2nd and experiment with CF or SLI. Your chances of being plagued by M-S will be far less with the pair of high end cards.

Fathomthis1

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Ok so with the GTX 660 Ti 2GB, what kinda power supply am i looking for in the antec 900

Also if there any point getting more then 8 gigs of RAM? And is there any particular RAM ill be looking for with this setup

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The memory controller for IB will accept 1333MHZ and 1600MHZ, but most MBs have the ability to easily O/C memory to higher speeds. So check your board's capability and buy the fastest memory you can afford even if the board can't reach the RAM's rated speed. Faster memory generally O/Cs better than slower memory. I have 1866MHZ in my SB, but I keep it at a stable 1600MHZ.

8GB of memory has always been sufficient for me. I haven't had any reason to add any sticks to my empty slots yet. Most games never use anywhere near that much. If you are going to be multi-tasking other apps while gaming, you may want to up it some. But smooth frame rates rely (in part) on keeping your system as clean as possible, so it's best not to try to do other stuff while in a game anyway.

The GTX 660ti demands about 150W maxed out. That relates to a +12V load of 12.5 amps. Use a PSU calculator to get a good idea of the size you need based on the card and the other devices in your system. http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

TRENDING THREADS