Sign in with
Your question

Installing a GPU on a pre-built system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2013 7:49:01 PM

Well hey there,

I just want to query if it's a good idea/safe/easy to buy a pre-built system and then install a new GPU.

I want to get the AMD 7850 GPU and am looking at the FX-6300 or i5 2500k CPu, if I can afford it.

Oh, and can I check one last time if it will bottleneck?

Thanks in advance.
February 11, 2013 7:54:28 PM

I have done it on multiple Dells. The one thing is you probably should also get a new PSU.

The new 660 can do upto a 7750 on a stock psu with the computer. The XPS 8500 can do upto a 7870 or the 7950 regular dual 6 pin type no problems both on the stock PSU.
a c 202 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 7:54:30 PM

Mullac said:
Well hey there,

I just want to query if it's a good idea/safe/easy to buy a pre-built system and then install a new GPU.

I want to get the AMD 7850 GPU and am looking at the FX-6300 or i5 2500k CPu, if I can afford it.

Oh, and can I check one last time if it will bottleneck?

Thanks in advance.

if it not a dell or hp. it easy..you unplug the pc from the wall let the mb drain for a few min. then open the side pannel..take out the screw that holding the video card down and then press the video card lock switch on the mb to unlock the video card from the pci slot.then you just put the new card in the same slot..it click and lock in..then connect the power cables and the screw and your done. the issue with swapping vidoe cards is the size of the power supply. if it under size when you put in the new video card the system may not post or it crash. hpo and dells use small 200-400w ps that are undersized for most gpu.
Related resources
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 7:54:57 PM

So you are looking for a barebone system of sorts? Are you against perhaps building a computer yourself and skipping the added assembly cost that places offer?
February 11, 2013 8:01:58 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@smorizio - Thanks very much for the step by step guide very useful, however, do I also have to uninstall the previous card's drivers and install my new card's drivers? How hard is this?

@bigshootr8 - It's not that I'm against building my own system, I just want to know every possibility before I commit to something. I've been looking for some barebone systems, but they never seem to be fore great prices.
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:29:15 PM

I gotcha. Yea I'm pretty sure I could compose a list of components that would leave you far happier building it then getting a pre built machine.
February 11, 2013 11:03:59 PM

^ yea man, building it yourself will save you money (it may seem like a daunting task at first, but it gets easier once you know what your doing from reading the instructions.)
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 11:21:03 PM

trolling troll said:
^ yea man, building it yourself will save you money (it may seem like a daunting task at first, but it gets easier once you know what your doing from reading the instructions.)

Plus LOTS of reading on specs and watching video reviews an whatnot. Its a long drawn out learning process but SO worth it. In the process of putting together the list of parts for my upcoming build I have learned ALOT.
a c 202 U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 6:29:59 AM

to remove the driver from the old video card...download a drive sweeper and install it..then boot into save mode f8 run the gpu uninstall program from add/remove program then the drive sweeper...then power down and swap cards.
February 12, 2013 6:42:39 AM

I would also keep in mind that a lot of OEM mother boards in prebuilt systems cant be over clocked.
!