BSOD with new Radeon HD 7750

justpassingthrough

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
Hello, I'm trying to upgrade my computer from an nVidia Quadro FX 580 to a Radeon HD7750. After uninstalling the old card's drivers, switching the cards, and installing the new card's drivers, I get a BSOD on startup(photo here: http://oi47.tinypic.com/5x731v.jpg).

Here are my computer specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel i5 processor, 3.20GHz
8GB DDR RAM
Intel DH55PJ motherboard
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V(just put this in after finding out my old PSU wasn't powerful enough to run the card).

Any advice on how to fix this?

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
If the BSOD is not preventing start-up, download this: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html

It's a driver sweeper (I personally use it) and the BSOD you are having is caused because of drivers conflicting with each other. When you uninstall the drivers, not all driver files are cleaned from the registry, and cause problems when switching GPU vendors' drivers.

Follow the steps included with the download, and you should be good to go!

justpassingthrough

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
After the BSOD, the computer tries to restart, and then it gives me that message of "Do you want to run System Restore, or start Windows normally?". Trying to start normally hits me with the BSOD again, and it just continues like that until I System Restore.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Ok, uninstall the drivers like this:

Start>Control Panel>[Right Click] Computer>Manage>Device Manager>Display Adapters>[Double Click] (Primary Graphics Card)>Driver>Uninstall (Be sure to check the box that says something like "Delete Driver Software"

After that, download the file from the link I provided above and analyze your computer for ALL AMD AND nVidia drivers, then press clean. Reboot, and repeat the process with the driver sweeper. From there, go ahead and install your new card, and the latest drivers from AMD. Hope this helps!

justpassingthrough

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
I.....think the problem is fixed now. While waiting for a response, I did some Googling and in one instance, someone said that the program, Daemon Tools, is known for causing issues such as this. So I uninstalled that(as well as a couple nVidia programs still left in my Installed Programs list; they weren't marked as drivers though), rebooted, and I'm not getting BSODs anymore.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Hopefully that will do the trick.

Yeah, I've read that using programs like nVidia Inspector cause problems if you have custom configurations in place, and you attempt to add them with an AMD GPU.

Anyway, all the best with your new card, and hope it's smooth sailing from here.