Need help finding affordable upgrade GPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magikaltrevor

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hey everyone, first time posting here, was hoping for some real help. I bought a custom made PC off a friend a while back but it had no GPU, so i borrowed this one from a friend..it really has felt like im lacking in the gaming community when it comes too graphic performance. Im looking for an upgrade card, possible between $50-$150. I have posted my specs below, hope its enough info, im here on stand by if any questions or tips!

Motherboard: Supermicro C2SBA
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit

Current GPU: ATI Radeon 4650 HD

Thanks - Trevor :D

Solution
Alright, I think I'll dabble here and see what I can contribute.

According to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html (Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Heirarchy), the GTX 650Ti is slightly more powerful than the Radeon HD 7770GHz Edition, at 1920x1080 (I'm assuming that's going to be your resolution), and they can be found for less than $150.00 USD, like the Radeon HD 7770GHz Edition. Both these cards are good, and have their pros and cons. Both have similar memory configurations, and around a similar core, but from what I have seen, personal experience, nVidia drivers tend to roll out and patch more, more frequently than AMD drivers. The thing is that AMD does a good job with their drivers...

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Alright, I think I'll dabble here and see what I can contribute.

According to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html (Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Heirarchy), the GTX 650Ti is slightly more powerful than the Radeon HD 7770GHz Edition, at 1920x1080 (I'm assuming that's going to be your resolution), and they can be found for less than $150.00 USD, like the Radeon HD 7770GHz Edition. Both these cards are good, and have their pros and cons. Both have similar memory configurations, and around a similar core, but from what I have seen, personal experience, nVidia drivers tend to roll out and patch more, more frequently than AMD drivers. The thing is that AMD does a good job with their drivers, allowing them to continue to deliver better and better performance in modern games.

At this point, the Radeon HD 7770GHz Edition or the GTX 650Ti are your best bets. Either card will bring the performance you want, and are significantly better than the card your have now. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference, AMD or nVidia.

*EDIT: Your PSU seems powerful enough, but can you give a brand and model for the PSU you have. It's the best way to see if it will properly hold up, even if it is a 650W PSU.

Solution

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Your PSU is good, so go ahead and choose the card you would like, and you will still have room for a second GPU if you wish to add one later. All the best!

@fkr Thank you for the link, I didn't know you posted that until after I posted, but thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.