Gpu really loud

davschall

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Alright I just got my his iceq 7950 and im a little confused at how loud it is. In CCC and his iturbo fan speed shows 33% which on my old iceq was not loud at all. But it doesnt really sound like the fan because when i ramp the fan speed up and down theres no noticeable difference. Also its sounds like its coming directly off of the gpu. Is this the infamous coil whine ive been hearing about? Its not like an electronic whine, but it really doesnt sound like the fan ive unplugged all my other fans. Idk its making an ungodly amount of noise.

Solution
It might be the sensors on the board are bad or something. Yea 3k RPMs is a lot on a video card, mine (6870) is running at 800 RPMs right now, and might get up to 1.2k during games, but I never notice a difference in noise level.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
You may be looking at a manufacturing defect in some part of the card. Best bet is to RMA the card before the manufacturer denies to service it because of damaged caused. Call their tech support and describe the issue to them. If you can RMA it and get a new card and see if i truly was a defect.

If it was a CPU fan, I'd tell you to quickly unplug it to see if it was the fan, but you can't really do that for your GPU, without risking more damage.

davschall

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

It just sounds like the fan is at 100%, Like a clicking noise, just sounds like a fan on high or something to me its super loud lol.

davschall

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Huh well im not sure if its coil whine gpu-z says my fan is at 3k+ rpms at all times so it must be the fan i just dont understand why it says it only at 20% fan speed theres no way thats true. Its definitely the fan other people were having this problem awhile ago seems i got a bad pwm cable or something, when i change the speed in any control program from 20%-100% the fan speed just sits at 3075 i guess ill have to exchange it on newegg this is so tupid I was so excited for this card.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
It might be the sensors on the board are bad or something. Yea 3k RPMs is a lot on a video card, mine (6870) is running at 800 RPMs right now, and might get up to 1.2k during games, but I never notice a difference in noise level.

Solution

davschall

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

That sounded pretty sarcastic, so im not sure what to take from that. I was planning on getting a 670 or 680 but the thought of not paying for crysis or bioshock was to much of a temptation(im a climber so I have to budget my money wisely between two of the most expensive hobbies ever lol), and hopefully worth the need for the rma. Im liking that oc on the 680 though. Im going to put this card underwater so im tempted to just deal with the noise til I can afford another rad and a waterblock, I might if I can figure out how to unlock the damn voltage on this thing lol.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Understand that the fact you had 7870's doesn't mean diddly on that chipset. It has to do with the manufacture. XFX has a GREAT product, so does ASUS... but HIS not so much... The manufacture is the one that makes the boards.