Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible to share cable internet to all my pc using only switch

Last response: in Networking
March 17, 2012 12:25:21 PM

I have a dumb switch. If I connect a cable internet to that dumb switch and if all the pc’s are also connected to the dumb switch then is it possible to share that internet to every other peripherals connected to that dumb switch?
March 17, 2012 1:39:38 PM

Yes. While I would recommend a router, you can do it with a switch only by using ICS on the computer that is connected to the Internet and to the switch. ICS doesn't support everything (like instant messaging) but it will allow the other computers to get Internet access as long as that computer is turned on and not hibernating or sleeping or whatnot.
m
l
March 17, 2012 8:11:29 PM

RealBeast said:
Yes. While I would recommend a router, you can do it with a switch only by using ICS on the computer that is connected to the Internet and to the switch. ICS doesn't support everything (like instant messaging) but it will allow the other computers to get Internet access as long as that computer is turned on and not hibernating or sleeping or whatnot.

please tell me in detail.
internet an all pc are connected to the switch. Internet is not connected to a pc. Internet is also connected to switch.
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2012 8:24:07 PM

How about you describe your setup a little better? What do you mean the Internet connects to the switch -- where does the Ethernet cable that has Internet access come from? Do you not have access to the router where that cable originates?
m
l
March 18, 2012 12:27:25 PM

RealBeast said:
How about you describe your setup a little better? What do you mean the Internet connects to the switch -- where does the Ethernet cable that has Internet access come from? Do you not have access to the router where that cable originates?

Actually this ISP gives a LAN cable only. that cable has internet.
m
l
March 18, 2012 9:17:15 PM

In that case you will probably need a router. If one machine gets an Internet connection, you could attach a second Ethernet cable to it and share the Internet with the other machines on the switch with the other Ethernet cable using ICS, but it would be much better to use a router.
m
l
!