Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD 5850 frustration!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 11, 2013 10:44:27 PM

Okay, so I bought an HD 5850 from a guy the other day, and it arrived today. I put it in my Mobo, plugged in the power cable, and turned my pc on. It had a very annoying, high-pitched whine, but I continued. I opened my AMD VISION Control Center to try to turn the fans down, but I couldn't find anywhere in there to change anything except the graphics quality and cpu power. I opened MSI afterburner, and it still said that I was using the 7560D that came onboard, when I made sure the 5850 was plugged in. Also, I bought a VGA-DVI adapter to use on the 5850, but my monitor wouldn't turn on when I plugged it in, either. At this point, I want to punch a hole through my computer because everywhere I look, it says, "Update your drivers!!" How do I do that? I downloaded the Catalyst suite from AMD's site, and it's proving useless so far. If anyone could help me sort this out, it would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get it working within a couple days, I'll reverse charges and send it back to the dude I got it from.

More about : 5850 frustration

a c 106 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 10:50:46 PM

try windows update. what happens?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 10:52:27 PM

ThePhychoKid said:
Okay, so I bought an HD 5850 from a guy the other day, and it arrived today. I put it in my Mobo, plugged in the power cable, and turned my pc on. It had a very annoying, high-pitched whine, but I continued. I opened my AMD VISION Control Center to try to turn the fans down, but I couldn't find anywhere in there to change anything except the graphics quality and cpu power. I opened MSI afterburner, and it still said that I was using the 7560D that came onboard, when I made sure the 5850 was plugged in. Also, I bought a VGA-DVI adapter to use on the 5850, but my monitor wouldn't turn on when I plugged it in, either. At this point, I want to punch a hole through my computer because everywhere I look, it says, "Update your drivers!!" How do I do that? I downloaded the Catalyst suite from AMD's site, and it's proving useless so far. If anyone could help me sort this out, it would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get it working within a couple days, I'll reverse charges and send it back to the dude I got it from.


You most likely have a spot in the bios saying your graphics is integrated. Change that to PCI. Then the card should work and you can get to enjoying the new card.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 11, 2013 10:54:11 PM

swifty_morgan said:
try windows update. what happens?

I have no important updates, but 6 optionals- MS Security ess., Adv. Micro Devices, Inc HD 7560D..., IDT Audio, and 2 w7x64 based systems update.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 10:55:55 PM

jnkweaver said:
You most likely have a spot in the bios saying your graphics is integrated. Change that to PCI. Then the card should work and you can get to enjoying the new card.

When I go turn my pc on, I can't get into BIOS. I hit F10, but it stops and freezes, and doesn't continue starting up.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 10:57:02 PM

ThePhychoKid said:
When I go turn my pc on, I can't get into BIOS. I hit F10, but it stops and freezes, and doesn't continue starting up.


Is that the same whether the card is in or not?
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 10:58:55 PM

jnkweaver said:
Is that the same whether the card is in or not?

No, I can get in the BIOS without it in.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 11:02:39 PM

ThePhychoKid said:
No, I can get in the BIOS without it in.


Are you sure this card works if so:
Do this
1. Take out the card
2. Boot into Bios and change the setting. Save and exit. Turn off.
3. Put in the card.
4. Boot
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 12:07:30 AM

jnkweaver said:
Are you sure this card works if so:
Do this
1. Take out the card
2. Boot into Bios and change the setting. Save and exit. Turn off.
3. Put in the card.
4. Boot

I can't find anything where it would change graphics options
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:13:52 AM

ThePhychoKid said:
I can't find anything where it would change graphics options


Isn't there something like PCI Settings with PnP/PCI configurations? Sometimes it is PCIe config. Sometimes in integrated peripherals.

What make and model MB do you have?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:30:58 AM

ThePhychoKid said:
MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)


http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...


According to those specs you can only have one or the other operating. I do not know if that means you do it manually or it does it automatically.

Take a look at this link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300949-33-disable-onb...

about 1/2 way down they have a few different BIOS screenshots trying to show where you change it. Does any of them look like yours?
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 12:34:25 AM

jnkweaver said:
According to those specs you can only have one or the other operating. I do not know if that means you do it manually or it does it automatically.

Take a look at this link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300949-33-disable-onb...

about 1/2 way down they have a few different BIOS screenshots trying to show where you change it. Does any of them look like yours?

No. Mine has all the sections at the top, and like 2-4 dropdowns on each section, and each item has like 1-3 things to change. The most relevant info I could see was enabling my PCIE ports, which were already enabled
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:38:26 AM

According to the forums MSI doesn't have a switch in their BIOS but are suppose to autodetect the card and work.

Was that awful whine you talked about the video card? It sounds like there is a return in your future.
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 12:44:32 AM

jnkweaver said:
According to the forums MSI doesn't have a switch in their BIOS but are suppose to autodetect the card and work.

Was that awful whine you talked about the video card? It sounds like there is a return in your future.

As soon as I turn it on, it automatically whines. When I turn it off, it goes from that high pitched whine to silent, like you would always hear the TV's turn off in old cartoons, except just a tad longer
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:55:27 AM

ThePhychoKid said:
As soon as I turn it on, it automatically whines. When I turn it off, it goes from that high pitched whine to silent, like you would always hear the TV's turn off in old cartoons, except just a tad longer


That just does not sound right. Return it.
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 1:07:46 AM

jnkweaver said:
That just does not sound right. Return it.

thank you, I'll do that and order another one.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 1:09:22 AM

ThePhychoKid said:
thank you, I'll do that and order another one.


Is there a reason you are buying such an outdated card? PSU restriction?
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 1:12:44 AM

jnkweaver said:
Is there a reason you are buying such an outdated card? PSU restriction?

I was going to buy a 650Ti, but I don't have the money for it and I found the HD5850 for cheap, so I expected something to be up with it, but it's within the 30-day money back guarentee, so no worries on that end. If you have any reccomendations for a similar card for sub-$120, I'd be glad to hear it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 1:20:54 AM

ThePhychoKid said:
I was going to buy a 650Ti, but I don't have the money for it and I found the HD5850 for cheap, so I expected something to be up with it, but it's within the 30-day money back guarentee, so no worries on that end. If you have any reccomendations for a similar card for sub-$120, I'd be glad to hear it.


In the states can get a hd 7750 2Gb card for $80-90 and a Corsair 500W builder series power supply for $40 (after the $20 rebate). I would suggest both. You can try the 7750 on your 300W supply but the big builders aren't known for using the best power supplies.
m
0
l
!