HD 5850 frustration!!

ThePhychoKid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Okay, so I bought an HD 5850 from a guy the other day, and it arrived today. I put it in my Mobo, plugged in the power cable, and turned my pc on. It had a very annoying, high-pitched whine, but I continued. I opened my AMD VISION Control Center to try to turn the fans down, but I couldn't find anywhere in there to change anything except the graphics quality and cpu power. I opened MSI afterburner, and it still said that I was using the 7560D that came onboard, when I made sure the 5850 was plugged in. Also, I bought a VGA-DVI adapter to use on the 5850, but my monitor wouldn't turn on when I plugged it in, either. At this point, I want to punch a hole through my computer because everywhere I look, it says, "Update your drivers!!" How do I do that? I downloaded the Catalyst suite from AMD's site, and it's proving useless so far. If anyone could help me sort this out, it would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get it working within a couple days, I'll reverse charges and send it back to the dude I got it from.

You most likely have a spot in the bios saying your graphics is integrated. Change that to PCI. Then the card should work and you can get to enjoying the new card.

ThePhychoKid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I have no important updates, but 6 optionals- MS Security ess., Adv. Micro Devices, Inc HD 7560D..., IDT Audio, and 2 w7x64 based systems update.

ThePhychoKid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

When I go turn my pc on, I can't get into BIOS. I hit F10, but it stops and freezes, and doesn't continue starting up.

ThePhychoKid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I can't find anything where it would change graphics options

According to those specs you can only have one or the other operating. I do not know if that means you do it manually or it does it automatically.

Take a look at this link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300949-33-disable-onboard-graphics-m4a89gtd-mobo

about 1/2 way down they have a few different BIOS screenshots trying to show where you change it. Does any of them look like yours?

ThePhychoKid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

No. Mine has all the sections at the top, and like 2-4 dropdowns on each section, and each item has like 1-3 things to change. The most relevant info I could see was enabling my PCIE ports, which were already enabled

ThePhychoKid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

As soon as I turn it on, it automatically whines. When I turn it off, it goes from that high pitched whine to silent, like you would always hear the TV's turn off in old cartoons, except just a tad longer

That just does not sound right. Return it.

ThePhychoKid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I was going to buy a 650Ti, but I don't have the money for it and I found the HD5850 for cheap, so I expected something to be up with it, but it's within the 30-day money back guarentee, so no worries on that end. If you have any reccomendations for a similar card for sub-$120, I'd be glad to hear it.

In the states can get a hd 7750 2Gb card for $80-90 and a Corsair 500W builder series power supply for $40 (after the $20 rebate). I would suggest both. You can try the 7750 on your 300W supply but the big builders aren't known for using the best power supplies.