Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this the right power cord for a gtx660 ti?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2013 11:07:38 PM

I've decided I'm going to get a gtx 660 ti, but I just realized that my computer might not have the right power cords to power it. :( 
The galaxy gtx 660 ti that I've been looking at apparently needs both a 6pin and an 8 pin power cord, while the gigabyte one only needs 2 6 pin. I'll upload a picture of what my psu has, but I'm not sure if they're the right ones, since they were just tied together and tucked under the CD drive (maybe to power another one, id).
I am also thinking of getting the MSI power editing 660 ti since it has over volting but I think that might just be overkill for me since I'm not sure if my motehrboard will even allow me to overclock, LOL.

Anyways here's a picture of it. Are these the 6 pin connectors that I need to plug in this card? http://ncix.com/products/?sku=75183&vpn=GV-N66TOC-2GD&m...

This looks like tis a 6 pin connector, but the thing is that the wire goes from the psu to the first 6 pin thing, but then from that first one the wires come out the back and connect to the second one.
Is this what its supposed to be like or is it two different cables? Would I need to get a new power supply?

My computer is a dell prebuilt xps 7100 with a 450w psu.

More about : power cord gtx660

February 12, 2013 12:16:49 AM

This is probably in the wrong forum also. i was thinking that its gpu related because I might get a smaller one like a 650 or 650 ti that consume less power.
a c 81 U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:21:43 AM

You've got two 6-pin connectors there, and yes, it's fine that they're on the same line - two of the eight cables are for power for each card.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:21:54 AM

I think you may need a new PSU. 450w its fairly low for a modern GPU. However, if you dont have the money for both the GPU and PSU you may consider one of the EVGA GTX 660 cards (Non-Ti). They only need a single 6pin connector.
February 12, 2013 12:25:17 AM

Yes, they are.

However, I wouldn't trust the "Y" cable to supply the power you need from the 12Vdc rail on that DELL PSU. You should get an adapter (it should have come with your card) to connect two of your 4 pin connectors into a single 6 pin and then use just one side of the "Y" cable to connect the other 6 pin connector.

BTW, the DELL 450W PSU just meets the minimum requirements of the GTX 660ti.
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:30:23 AM

I have the same PSU, and the XPS line does use better power supply and parts than the normal stuff.

Mine shows either 18A or 15A on the PCIe power line. It just lists them as 12va, 12vb and 12vc for the 3 main 12v rails in it, if that helps anyone determine if the card works or not.
February 12, 2013 12:39:41 AM

Is there a way to test it to see how many amps and whatnot it has?
I guess I can afford to buy a new power supply, its better that than cheap out and have it explode or something.

Best solution

February 12, 2013 12:44:55 AM

Here's the thing, your PSU is a 460W Bestec made to order for DELL. It will power your GTX660ti. It shouldn't have to try to power it from a singles 12Vdc rail, it will fail. You need to use 2 separate rails by doing as I suggested above, or, simply go buy a nice Seasonic 500W PSU.
February 12, 2013 12:50:26 AM

Best answer selected by cravin.
February 12, 2013 1:13:34 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
Yes, they are.

However, I wouldn't trust the "Y" cable to supply the power you need from the 12Vdc rail on that DELL PSU. You should get an adapter (it should have come with your card) to connect two of your 4 pin connectors into a single 6 pin and then use just one side of the "Y" cable to connect the other 6 pin connector.

BTW, the DELL 450W PSU just meets the minimum requirements of the GTX 660ti.

Is this what the 4 pin connector looks like? I have a cord going form the power supply to the cd drive up top, and then it has one of these (http://www.mini-box.com/SATA-Hard-Drive-Power-Cable the one on the top thats black, it looks like one of those) hard drive plug things, but its not going into anything after the cd drive. After that hard drive thing it has what looks like a smaller 4 pin plug (this - except only one of them http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/skuimages/large/CNE...)

So would this thing work even if it goes through a hard drive or a cd drive? I could just take out the CD drive since I don't ever use it, or temporarily unplug it.
Here's a picture of the connector
http://i.imgur.com/2vupn6a.jpg
February 12, 2013 1:31:49 AM

The one I have says P7, so i guess its a different one than that. How many watts would I need to crossfire two 660 tis? Just for the future, I might as well spend a little extra to be able to do that in the future
February 12, 2013 1:43:46 AM

600 - 650 watts for GTX 660ti in SLI.

But please spend any extra cash (must be nice to have extra cash) on quality components. Seasonic and Antec are a couple of good names in PSUs.
!