Having problems with EVGA GTX 660

Persephone

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
I've recently purchased the GTX 660 to upgrade from my GTX 260. However, I've been getting a lot of technical issues following the installation. These include:
-the BSOD appearing after intense graphical lag (has happened ~3 times)
-slight graphical lag in game SOMETIMES, even on normal settings
-an error after booting up the computer that reads "A disk error error has occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"
-Windows occasionally not booting correctly & forcing me to restart- but this time without the disk read error
-the screen flashes with black lines after starting Windows
-on MSI Afterburner, the GPU usage % fluctuates greatly from ~0%-~95% without any games or videos up

These issues are not constant & many times, the GPU seems to be running fine. The disk read error occurs about 50% of the time.

This is what I've done to attempt to solve this issue:
-reinstalled the drivers for the 660 (multiple times actually.. all drivers are updated)
-did a clean space drive wipe from CCleaner

I am not overclocking the 660. Yes the 260's drivers are all uninstalled. Like I said, the troubles basically started right after I put in the new card. With the 260, I had driver issues where it would crash & then recover but I never got the BSOD. I tried looking everywhere for a solution but no one could really provide a good answer. Like.. is the problem my motherboard? I put together my desktop relatively recently and there were no real issues until now. I really don't want to do a fresh install of Windows & reformat or whatever.. if anyone strongly believes that will solve the issues, then let me know. However, I still think it's a problem with the motherboard.

My setup:
Motherboard- ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU- Intel i5 3570K
RAM- 8GB
PSU- Corsair CX600
HDD- WD Velociraptor 10000rpm 300GB

P.s. I'm not very tech savvy so I apologize if anything doesn't make sense..

i point you here to my thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/391444-33-nvidia-gtx660-crash-desktop-expert-needed
similar issues. i have the same motherboard and a gigabyte gtx660. your issue sounds like the pcie gen 3 issue. go into bios and set pcie to gen 2. I googled it and there are a LOT of people having that issue with z77 boards and the new gtx 6xx series. i havnt tried it to fix my problem yet, will try it tonight.

Persephone

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Okay let me know how it goes!

I went into BIOs but I wasn't able to set PCI E to gen 2.. the only options were Auto and Gen 1. It was already on Auto so I changed it to Gen 1 just to see if it would still crash. Thank you for your input. It's incredibly valuable.

Edit; nvm I found out I didn't update my BIOs to the latest one. Doing that now.

yeah, well i have the exact same motherboard with latest bios, and I can select gen 2.
although the disk read error you are getting may be unrelated, sounds like a HDD fault. you can download and run the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tool, and also windows has a tool, if you go to my computer, right click on c: drive, click properties, go to tools, and check for errors and select attempt to recover bad sectors and auto fix options. it might take a long time to complete this and require a reboot.

Persephone

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah I got the BSOD today right after booting up Windows :( I have used that driver version after wiping the new drivers but I still had issues. Worse comes to worse, I get a new mobo even though that's not what I want to do because I'd like a solution D:

Thank you for your help though. If you ever find something that works for you, let me know!!