Having problems with EVGA GTX 660

I've recently purchased the GTX 660 to upgrade from my GTX 260. However, I've been getting a lot of technical issues following the installation. These include:
-the BSOD appearing after intense graphical lag (has happened ~3 times)
-slight graphical lag in game SOMETIMES, even on normal settings
-an error after booting up the computer that reads "A disk error error has occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"
-Windows occasionally not booting correctly & forcing me to restart- but this time without the disk read error
-the screen flashes with black lines after starting Windows
-on MSI Afterburner, the GPU usage % fluctuates greatly from ~0%-~95% without any games or videos up

These issues are not constant & many times, the GPU seems to be running fine. The disk read error occurs about 50% of the time.

This is what I've done to attempt to solve this issue:
-reinstalled the drivers for the 660 (multiple times actually.. all drivers are updated)
-did a clean space drive wipe from CCleaner

I am not overclocking the 660. Yes the 260's drivers are all uninstalled. Like I said, the troubles basically started right after I put in the new card. With the 260, I had driver issues where it would crash & then recover but I never got the BSOD. I tried looking everywhere for a solution but no one could really provide a good answer. Like.. is the problem my motherboard? I put together my desktop relatively recently and there were no real issues until now. I really don't want to do a fresh install of Windows & reformat or whatever.. if anyone strongly believes that will solve the issues, then let me know. However, I still think it's a problem with the motherboard.

My setup:
Motherboard- ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU- Intel i5 3570K
RAM- 8GB
PSU- Corsair CX600
HDD- WD Velociraptor 10000rpm 300GB

P.s. I'm not very tech savvy so I apologize if anything doesn't make sense..
5 answers Last reply
More about having problems evga
  1. i point you here to my thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/391444-33-nvidia-gtx660-crash-desktop-expert-needed
    similar issues. i have the same motherboard and a gigabyte gtx660. your issue sounds like the pcie gen 3 issue. go into bios and set pcie to gen 2. I googled it and there are a LOT of people having that issue with z77 boards and the new gtx 6xx series. i havnt tried it to fix my problem yet, will try it tonight.
  2. Okay let me know how it goes!

I went into BIOs but I wasn't able to set PCI E to gen 2.. the only options were Auto and Gen 1. It was already on Auto so I changed it to Gen 1 just to see if it would still crash. Thank you for your input. It's incredibly valuable.

Edit; nvm I found out I didn't update my BIOs to the latest one. Doing that now.
  3. yeah, well i have the exact same motherboard with latest bios, and I can select gen 2.
    although the disk read error you are getting may be unrelated, sounds like a HDD fault. you can download and run the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tool, and also windows has a tool, if you go to my computer, right click on c: drive, click properties, go to tools, and check for errors and select attempt to recover bad sectors and auto fix options. it might take a long time to complete this and require a reboot.
  4. ok, so i just tried going to gen2 speeds but got a crash again. now trying a much older driver, the one that came with the card on the cd, 305.27. someone else on another site suggested going to an older driver fixed their issues.
  5. iam2thecrowe said:
    ok, so i just tried going to gen2 speeds but got a crash again. now trying a much older driver, the one that came with the card on the cd, 305.27. someone else on another site suggested going to an older driver fixed their issues.

Yeah I got the BSOD today right after booting up Windows :( I have used that driver version after wiping the new drivers but I still had issues. Worse comes to worse, I get a new mobo even though that's not what I want to do because I'd like a solution D:

Thank you for your help though. If you ever find something that works for you, let me know!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics