Overclocking Hard drives??????

SmooveJD

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
I have a pair of IBM ata -100 hard drives. I have an Ata-133 capable motherboard. Is there a way to get the hard drives to read data at the faster ATA-133 speed? U know..Like a hardware hack or firmware hack.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
actually all hard drives today only file the 100 bus with whats in there buffer a good hard drive can only sustain at the must 40 mb of transfer persecond.

the ata 133 spec was really released to get around the 137 gig limit of ata 100 not relly for speed reasons

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
wapaaga is right, ATA133 doesn't actually give you a speed increase.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
So is it safe to say the WD is a better choice then the Maxtor cause of the 8mb Cache ???

How would life be if there were no Computer's? That would Suck!!

I would think so.

You know its a pity there aren't any 40GB or even 20GB drives with 8MB cache kicking around. A few of them in RAID 0 would do nicely.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
An 8MB cache drive would be better than a 2MB cache drive, but a WD isn't necessarily better than a Maxtor.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Mine has 128 so there!

HAHA just kidding. I have the IBM 4H 4 channel 160 RAID controller. 128 megs RAM and 266mhz copper PPC CPU for parity calcs. Nice card, but I need a nice hot swap bay bad!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
=)
I have it running with 2 drives now (ooOOoo) but have 2 more on my desk ready to go. I just got a BIGASS tower but still want the hot swap bay. The best deal I can find is an enlight 5 drive bay that fits into 3 5.25 bays for about 270$.....

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
OMG!
That would rule, but the case must be MONSTER HUGE!! The one I have is an Inwin server case I got from a friend when he needed to sell a system. I gutted it and its sitting on my floor waiting for me to not be lazy. I build so many other systems for work that I am lazy when it comes to mine =(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's the thing, it's not huge, it had drives stacked from the top to floor, and a front panel covered the bottom drives so only the top four were exposed, making it look like a nomal full tower. It looked like a silver and grey painted version of the early Gateway ATX full tower.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ugh, I have one of those sitting behind me (the early Gateway ATX). It's a POS, I haven't even put the cover back on, and I installed the CD-ROM on Friday. That's how much I hate working with those cases.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the server case that I was speaking of LOOKED similar, but had removable side panels, and that center panel on the front was removable to expose the lower drive bays. The case was also about an inch wider.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Right, I know. I'm just sharing my hatred of the Gateway cases :tongue: