Sign in with
Your question

Powercolor 7950 vs Sapphire 7950 varities

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 12, 2013 11:32:57 AM

Hello hello

First time builder here.
Looking to purchase a Radeon 7950 to use in conjunction with an i7 3770k

I noticed there's a couple varities of the 7950 with a noticeable change in pricetag too. Which would be the best value for money out of these three?

Powercolor HD7950 3GB: [$299]
Sapphire HD 7950 3GB BOOST: [$329]
Sapphire HD 7950 3GB OC Edition V2: [$329]

Is the Sapphire OC just an overclocked version of the boost? Or an overclocked version of the non-boost? Will it be noisier and will the performance increase be noticeable?
Honestly, these names seem like they're meant to confuse people. :na: 

Is the Sapphire Boost/OC superior to the Powercolour model and does that justify the extra $30?

Thanks very much
February 12, 2013 4:46:03 PM

Out of the options you gave, I would go with the power color, simply because its the Cheapest. If you are going to overclock at all, all 3 cards pretty much have the potential to run identical. In my machine, I happen to run 2x 7950's in crossfire, and funny enough its the 2 sapphires you gave links to. The OC edition is an OC compared to the factory settings of a 7950, it does not have the Boost bios. As far as noise, the factory overclock is so mild that there shouldnt be any noticeable noise difference. As far as being superior to powercolor, no its not superior, just has a different bios. With my 7950's, I didnt notice any difference between the OC version and the boost version when running independently and for most games I overclock both cards to 1100/1400. When you overclock, boost is disabled.
m
l
February 12, 2013 4:54:48 PM

They are all about the same. Generally, power color cards are ugly. But if you don't care about aesthetics, get that one.
m
l
!