Lost applications from win 7

abuelitojd

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
I refreshed my windows 8 pro upgrade OS (which I purchased form MS on January 30) with the hopes of getting my sound to work consistently. That did not work. It did remove many of the apps that I had on my win 7 OS including my Quicken 10 for which I had the disk and re-installed. However many apps including MS Office Pro Plus 2010 which I downloaded at the time and other apps which I downloaded from GAOTD are also gone.
How do I get the ones that are important to me back? I really feel dumb! I have an HP G70 laptop, if that helps. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Are they all gone? Is it possible you wiped the drive on the Windows 8 upgrade?

If you wiped the drive, they are gone, and you will have to reinstall. If you have the licenses for the software, you can reinstall them all. MS Office Pro Plus 2010 is available for download (trial 30-day), and when you enter your code, it will become the full version.
Are they all gone? Is it possible you wiped the drive on the Windows 8 upgrade?

If you wiped the drive, they are gone, and you will have to reinstall. If you have the licenses for the software, you can reinstall them all. MS Office Pro Plus 2010 is available for download (trial 30-day), and when you enter your code, it will become the full version.

Solution

abuelitojd

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
As I understand it, Win 8 allows you to either refresh or reset. (the original win 8 upgrade did not remove any apps except the ones not compatible with the win 8 OS.) Refresh does not wipe out the drive, reset does. I refreshed so not all are gone, just some. After the refresh, the program leaves a list of the apps that were removed, some of which are live links, some of which are not. MS Office Pro Plus was not. I still have the key for MS office pro plus, where do I find the trial download?
All of the GAOTD (give away of the day) programs are only available that day. I really don't much care about them as they didn't cost me anything anyway.
BTW, the win 8 works OK on my desktop including the sound.

abuelitojd

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

I tried the link you gave but the MS download manager brought up an error message that says, "The requested file is not available for download. Contact the author of the page that contains the link. This download will be canceled.

Any other suggestions?

abuelitojd

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

I don't know if I can ask you or start a new thread, but part of my problem in upgrading to Win 8 is I lose sound on my laptop. I mentioned this in my first post, any ideas or should I start a new thread?

When you lose sound, does the driver (in device manager) show an issue (or does it show up at all)? If it is showing up, and driver installed & working, what is your default audio device?

With HDMI and audio outputs for multiple devices, sometimes the default audio device is changed.

abuelitojd

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks for your reply, the onboard sound is Conexant high definition smartaudio 221 according to the device manager and is working properly. I just ran an update for the drivers for both the Conexant high definition smartaudio 221 in the first position and the high definition audio device in the second position. Both have the latest drivers installed and both are working properly. other than the USB2.0 video capture, there are no other devices listed under Sound video and game controllers. The Conexant high definition smartaudio 221 is the default sound device according to the sound in the control panel. I am at a loss as to what to do short of re-installing windows 7!

abuelitojd

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

Problem is as stated above, the sound is (as far as I know) onboard the laptop mobo. I wouldn't/don't know how to access it.

Not having the same items - I believe the high definition audio device (2nd position) could be your HDMI port on the video card. Make sure the Conexant high definition smartaudio 221 is the default. I have a HTPC that runs audio through the HDMI port for viewing TV (it also has onboard audio), and it kept getting switched around.

I ended up disabling the onboard audio, so only the HDMI audio out worked (I could have kept switching the default device - but it was a pain in the backside).

abuelitojd

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks for all your help. I finally was able to get connected with a technician (in India of course) who know what he was about. I hope the problem is fixed permanently. He suggested that if the sound continues to not work (it is working now) that I probably have a hardware failure. Again, thanks, have a good day!