Partition not unallocating space

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm trying to free up some space on a partition that is extremely full. It's a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 45GB drive with two partitions: 15 (primary) and about 28. The 28 gig one is very full so I started moving some files to the primary partition but upon doing so, I noticed that that space was not being unallocated on the secondary partition. Does anyone know of a way to rectify this cause as of now I can't put anything back on. So I'm basically losing total drive space by doing anything. BTW, I'm running Win2k Pro.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Are you CUTTING (moving) or COPYING?
Just dragging the files copies then, you would then need o delete the original copy....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe, i'm not that stupid. i also cleared the recycle bin, and used norton cleensweep to no avail.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

The_Neon_Cowboy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
hmmm.. never heard of that one... umm what file system u useing fat32/ntfs? do you have two OS installed?

:cool: <font color=blue>The Hardware Junkie</font color=blue> :cool:

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
OK sorry....was the most obvious =) If you are sure the files are getting deleted (moved) and there is nothing in recycle bin sounds like a serious problem with the fat. what type of file system is it (FAT32 or NTFS)? I assume you tried scandisk?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
both partitions are ntfs. i guess i can try just messing around with stuff. thing is even non-native programs also reports the space as used: norton systemworks and partition magic are the only two ive thought to try as of yet, but they don't offer any fixes.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, it figures this is the last thing I'd think of but I found the cause and solution to my problem. Norton SystemWorks has a little feature that saves deleted and moved items for a certain period of time when they match certain criteria. It just so happens that the gigs upon gigs of mp3s I was moving fit those criteria and hence were saved on the disk as allocated space. After removing these so-called "protected" files, I got all my happy space back and have since turned off that annoying feature.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
WOW....bizarre! Glad you found it, but I would have never guessed that!!! I never use software like that as it has been my experience that it creates more problems then it solves =)

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SystemWorks is one of those utility packages that needs to be updated and stripped of all unnecessary components the moment it is installed, IMO. For example, I recall never finding a good reason to allow the protected file mode for the Recycle Bin ... it's really just for newer users who have accidently deleted files without knowing what they removed. Experienced users like yourself don't need half the "features" in the utility.

I never found anything useful in a Norton package beyond the WinDoctor for editing Registry keys, SpeedDisk for defragging, and allowing the Anti-Virus to scan incoming email. Beyond that, I ended up disabling everything else. It's something you get used to, if you've installed and run enough versions of Norton over the years.

I think being Norton-free with operating systems like Win2K and WinXP is a good idea. It's more useful with Win9x/ME. But that's just my opinion, and I just threw it out there as a comment based on my personal experience. I first ran a version of Norton in Win3.x, and I'm glad to be rid of it. It's more trouble than it's worth, and the majority of the package is redundant bloatware that hampers the performance of a system if installed as default.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i might try running norton free when i move up to winXP. I've been running it for a couple years now and agree with your logical stepping and removing of all that bloat. i use the system scan, defrag, and virus scan. wonder how smooth my system will run with out a weekly system scan? guess i'll find out soon enough.