Sign in with
Your question

650m Sli

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 12, 2013 8:38:17 PM

My current laptop has intel hd 3000 which is pretty average/terrible. So I was originally going to build a computer. But since I've been in college I've been going around to peoples rooms playing LoL/GW2, WoW, whatever, and it's fun. Sadly gaming laptops are too expensive for the little performance they give compared to cheaper desktops you can build. But then I found this laptop.

I'm currently at work and can't get on youtube, but I've looked up some 650m benchmarks and they're pretty decent, and I imagine with sli it would be even better. But I can't find a lot of 650m sli benchmarks.

So does anyone know if I'll be able to run GW2, LoL, PS2, future mmos, on at least high with it?

More about : 650m sli

a c 132 U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 8:58:07 PM

I would think a 650M would be just fine for something like WoW, LoL, and GW2. So you want something portable because you are on the move. I would also think maybe if you were lan parting it up you could go with a small ITX setup as well.
February 12, 2013 11:23:29 PM

For LoL I know it should max it out, but by fine on GW2 do you mean medium and low with 30fps? And yea an ITX setup would be good too, but I don't want to have to carry a monitor around or anything lol.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 132 U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 11:41:52 PM

Yea I gotcha. Well I'm not exactly sure I would have to see benchmarks with GW2 although MMO's typically aren't all that intensive graphically.
February 12, 2013 11:49:10 PM

bigshootr8 said:
By the way this guy has that GPU in his notebook and it seems just fine with GW2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8aJqBp0wYY

Hopefully thats more because of the 650m and not the i7 he has. The lenovo I'm looking at has a dual core i5 3230m

a c 80 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
February 12, 2013 11:50:54 PM

I'd rethink an ITX build, though. You can make them small, and if you get a smaller monitor, then it would all fit in a backpack.
a c 75 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
February 12, 2013 11:58:51 PM

The GT 650M is basically an underclocked GT 640 / GTX 650 (depending on the memory used). So with a single GPU you'd get 30 FPS or less in GW2. But with two of them in SLI, it should do pretty well. Especially if the memory is GDDR5.
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
February 13, 2013 12:02:59 AM

your gonna want atleast a gtx 660m to really game at a comfortable level. u can get a laptop with 15inches and that card and a i7 quadcore for 900 dollars so its not too bad.

February 13, 2013 12:03:55 AM

DarkSable said:
I'd rethink an ITX build, though. You can make them small, and if you get a smaller monitor, then it would all fit in a backpack.

I also want to be able to take it to the library, to class, wherever..It would be awkward with a mini itx build.
a c 132 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 12:26:28 AM

haha I would imagine. that would especially if you ran the power cord around the room.
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 12:44:28 AM

Hmm is this a repost? I am positive I saw this exact post a few hours ago.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
February 13, 2013 12:46:45 AM

One more thing against going with a laptop, and I've seen this more and more often in these forums of late. Six months down the line, when you're looking for a graphic card driver update, you may very well be at the mercy of the laptop manufacturer, who are not known for keeping up to date with drivers.

NVidia Disclaimer:
Quote:
As part of the NVIDIA Notebook Driver Program, this is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver.

AMD Disclaimer:
Quote:
The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool helps you determine your notebook’s compatibility with generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers. It helps to prevent incorrect installation on incompatible notebooks which may lead to disabled features or functionality.

If you experience difficulty while using the generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, we recommend reverting to the driver provided by your notebook vendor. Please contact your notebook vendor for their most recent graphics drivers.

-Wolf sends
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
February 13, 2013 1:29:26 AM

thanks for giving me a good read wolf.

February 13, 2013 1:37:58 AM

Wolfshadw said:
One more thing against going with a laptop, and I've seen this more and more often in these forums of late. Six months down the line, when you're looking for a graphic card driver update, you may very well be at the mercy of the laptop manufacturer, who are not known for keeping up to date with drivers.

NVidia Disclaimer:
Quote:
As part of the NVIDIA Notebook Driver Program, this is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver.

AMD Disclaimer:
Quote:
The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool helps you determine your notebook’s compatibility with generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers. It helps to prevent incorrect installation on incompatible notebooks which may lead to disabled features or functionality.

If you experience difficulty while using the generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, we recommend reverting to the driver provided by your notebook vendor. Please contact your notebook vendor for their most recent graphics drivers.

-Wolf sends

Thanks, that's a very good point. I'm probaly just going to go with a $800 build that can play all the games I listed on ultra instead of settling for high.
February 13, 2013 3:56:37 PM

Those two gpus are worse than the 650m sli.
a c 132 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 5:06:09 PM

I think he is just saying that those would be good values at the price points I don't believe hes saying the graphics are better or worse.
!