ATI/AMD Compatibility issues

Hello everyone,
I just bought a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7770 to upgrade my system. I don't do any intensive gaming but I wanted to have a better card to run some CFD simulations a little smoother. I had an old HIS ATI HD4600 card installed and since I am running 2 monitors (and looking to add a third), I left the old card in there. The problem is that when I install the drivers for the new card (the Hd7770), the old one doesn't work. So I go to the device manager, disinstall the old one, scan for hardware changes and reinstall the drivers. Everything works then. But if I try to update the drivers of the HD7770 again, the old one stops working. When I go to device manager, the old card gives "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)." I am not an expert but it sounds like a driver issue between the two cards and it looks like the new one can run on the old driver but not vice versa. I thought since they are AMD/ATI there should be no problems but that's not the case. Also, I should mention that the two cards are NOT running in parallel (Crossfire). They are connected to different PCI-e slots on the MBO. Do the cables I use have any say in this? I don't think so but I am not sure. Right now the old card is connected through a VGA to a VGA-only monitor while the other one has a DVI connection to a newer monitor. Thank you in advance for your help,

Krsto
3 answers Last reply
More about compatibility issues
  1. the old hd 4600 series are not working with the new driver for the hd 7770 see this http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx there not hte same as the hd 7770
  2. Well that explains everything. I'll just connect the two monitors to the hd 7770 then. Thanks for the quick reply
  3. your welcome have fun .
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards AMD Graphics