ATI/AMD Compatibility issues

ksbutega

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello everyone,
I just bought a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7770 to upgrade my system. I don't do any intensive gaming but I wanted to have a better card to run some CFD simulations a little smoother. I had an old HIS ATI HD4600 card installed and since I am running 2 monitors (and looking to add a third), I left the old card in there. The problem is that when I install the drivers for the new card (the Hd7770), the old one doesn't work. So I go to the device manager, disinstall the old one, scan for hardware changes and reinstall the drivers. Everything works then. But if I try to update the drivers of the HD7770 again, the old one stops working. When I go to device manager, the old card gives "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)." I am not an expert but it sounds like a driver issue between the two cards and it looks like the new one can run on the old driver but not vice versa. I thought since they are AMD/ATI there should be no problems but that's not the case. Also, I should mention that the two cards are NOT running in parallel (Crossfire). They are connected to different PCI-e slots on the MBO. Do the cables I use have any say in this? I don't think so but I am not sure. Right now the old card is connected through a VGA to a VGA-only monitor while the other one has a DVI connection to a newer monitor. Thank you in advance for your help,

Krsto

TRENDING THREADS