Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

7870XT 7950 660ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 12, 2013 9:52:29 PM

Which is better for gaming for games like BF3 Metro 2033 crysis and games like that at 1080p?
Could you also suggest brands?

More about : 7870xt 7950 660ti

a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2013 10:00:33 PM

7870XT Sapphire is the best but Powercolor does good too
Review of powercolor version
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tahiti-le-7870-7930...

It performs the same as the 660ti (overall) but is slightly cheaper and performs better in Metro, bf3 and crysis

The 7950 performs better than both but costs the most









Score
0
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2013 10:00:49 PM

whats your budget?

best bang for bucks at this moment is the 7870xt at 235$

but if you can afford it a 7950 would do the trick.

i need t0 know ur budget first before i recommand any brand. some are more pricey than others.

Score
0
Related resources
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2013 10:02:43 PM



you're quicker with those benchies than i am . . i was looking to post those.

nice job.
Score
0
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2013 10:03:29 PM

i agree with the above statements.

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2013 10:18:05 PM

Anonymous said:
you're quicker with those benchies than i am . . i was looking to post those.

nice job.



haha thanks :) 
Score
0
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2013 10:41:58 PM

+1 to this stickman dude

hes one cool cat

Score
0
February 12, 2013 11:40:36 PM

Sorry for the late reply but my budget is about 300 I really don't want to spend to much more then that 310 I guess would be my very max and I want something future proof the best one that will last me the longest and I forgot to mention I want the best for overclocking so it can last me even longer
Score
0
February 13, 2013 12:02:30 AM

Do you think it would be good for overclocking? It would not be any time soon because I only have a 500w PSU and I want something a little more stronger before overclocking
Score
0
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2013 12:03:25 AM

whats ur full specs?

Score
0
February 13, 2013 2:30:52 AM

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE
PSU:Corsair CX500 500w
RAM:G.skill 8GB 1600MHZ
I'll be playing at 1920x1080 but I want future proof for a little while
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2013 2:59:16 AM

the 7870XT is fine. it will overclock great and performs close enough to the 7950 with both at stock. the wider bus and other 1Gb of Vram won't benefit @ 1080.

though i would be less than honest if i didn't tell you the coolers on both available 7870XTs are rather loud . . .
Score
0
February 13, 2013 3:03:01 AM

Anonymous said:
the 7870XT is fine. it will overclock great and performs close enough to the 7950 with both at stock. the wider bus and other 1Gb of Vram won't benefit @ 1080.

though i would be less than honest if i didn't tell you the coolers on both available 7870XTs are rather loud . . .

Well I also want to have this card for a while and with the extra bus speed and 1 gig would that not help with keeping it up to par with future games even at 1080p and I could also get another monitor later on but I'm not sure I have thought about it, so would it be better to go with the 7950? with all these things considered
Score
0

Best solution

February 13, 2013 3:58:38 AM

Imo go with the 7950 if you can afford it, I did (sold my 7870 to get one) and I do not regret it at all. There was just the feeling of well I have the second best line of amd gpus but for 100$ more (i got my 7870 for 180) I could have the best line. Lol that may not be how you think but practically it makes sense to get the 7950. Especially now with the 7870 at 250, to me its worth the 50 bucks to get the 7950(unless you wait til the 7870 goes under 200 again, it did like last week during a sale the his iceq was 199 after MIR).

Side note eyefinity with even numbered amount of monitors is awful for FPS games because there will always be bezel at the center of your screen disabling you from looking down the sights very accurately. So yea you'll want another two monitors if you game fps(assuming you have only one right now) But yes in the case of eyefinity the extra bandwidth and 1gb will help a good bit. All IMHO.
Share
February 13, 2013 6:00:41 AM

davschall said:
Imo go with the 7950 if you can afford it, I did (sold my 7870 to get one) and I do not regret it at all. There was just the feeling of well I have the second best line of amd gpus but for 100$ more (i got my 7870 for 180) I could have the best line. Lol that may not be how you think but practically it makes sense to get the 7950. Especially now with the 7870 at 250, to me its worth the 50 bucks to get the 7950(unless you wait til the 7870 goes under 200 again, it did like last week during a sale the his iceq was 199 after MIR).

Side note eyefinity with even numbered amount of monitors is awful for FPS games because there will always be bezel at the center of your screen disabling you from looking down the sights very accurately. So yea you'll want another two monitors if you game fps(assuming you have only one right now) But yes in the case of eyefinity the extra bandwidth and 1gb will help a good bit. All IMHO.

Thank you for your comment :) , I think I'm going with the 7950 I'll just save a little more and get the better option thanks all of you for your comments it's very hard to choose best answer
Score
0
February 13, 2013 6:01:36 AM

Best answer selected by spitball91.
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2013 6:07:45 AM

spitball91 said:
Well I also want to have this card for a while and with the extra bus speed and 1 gig would that not help with keeping it up to par with future games even at 1080p and I could also get another monitor later on but I'm not sure I have thought about it, so would it be better to go with the 7950? with all these things considered

if you do get a second monitor for gaming then that would make a difference but it won't make a difference if you game on one and just display a desktop on the other. as far as the Vram; games just recently started using more than 1Gb. i don't remember where or what game but, the most i have seen used is 1.5Gb.

since the release of the 7870XT its a bit like the difference between a GTX 670 and 680. the 680 is only ~5% better in performing but at the cost of $100 more. if you feel the difference in the performance between the 7870XT and the 7950, ~8%, is worth the extra $65+ then ok, i can't find fault with that.

just don't get a cheap 7950 because from the looks of things a good 7870XT will overclock past whatever overclock one of those could provide. hence why i said a $65 difference when the cheap 7950s are just ~$40 more.
Score
0
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2013 9:27:10 AM

cheerios.

+1 to looniam comment

Score
0
February 13, 2013 8:17:08 PM

Hmm so would it be better to get the Sapphire 7870 XT 260 or a Gigabyte 7950 300 which is going to OC better? and last longer and just be better I am really leaning for a 7950 because I just would rather have a 7900 series even if it is 8% performance increase
Score
0
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2013 10:12:15 PM

the 7950 of course. :) 

Score
0
February 14, 2013 1:27:40 AM

Lol you sound like you answered your own question, go for the 7950 at the end of the day its still a better card and will really pull away from the 7870 even in terms of ocing ability(from my experience ocing both of them), anyways it does feel really good to have the 7900 series over the 7800 series, lol you wont regret going for the 7950 especially at $40.

Edit: It may only be an 8% increase but it hasnt felt like it especially in my low end fps.
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2013 1:57:54 AM

davschall said:
Lol you sound like you answered your own question, go for the 7950 at the end of the day its still a better card and will really pull away from the 7870 even in terms of ocing ability(from my experience ocing both of them), anyways it does feel really good to have the 7900 series over the 7800 series, lol you wont regret going for the 7950 especially at $40.

Edit: It may only be an 8% increase but it hasnt felt like it especially in my low end fps.


ah, the 7870xt is based on AMD’s Tahiti architecture with its 256-bit memory interface, and 1280 stream processors and 80 Texture units, unlike the remainder of the HD 7800 series that uses the Pitcairn architecture.
Score
0
February 14, 2013 2:49:19 AM

Anonymous said:
ah, the 7870xt is based on AMD’s Tahiti architecture with its 256-bit memory interface, and 1280 stream processors and 80 Texture units, unlike the remainder of the HD 7800 series that uses the Pitcairn architecture.

This is true the are essentially the same card(minus 128 bits of memory bus and 1gb, not a teribble hit), although if he goes the route of eyefinity im thinking the extra 1gb and wider bus width(while not chocked on the 7870XT) will ultimately be better for the higher resolution, I really am liking those clocks on the 7870 and its actually 1536 stream processors and 96 texture units so it would be a damn good card as well. But i think I would stand by my suggestion for the 7950 at only 40 dollars more IMHO its worth it. Hence my recommendation.
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2013 6:09:01 AM

i wasn't asking what you were telling the OP. i was pointing out the 7870XT is NOT the same as other 78xx series where you had group it with them.

since this is solved why haven't i deleted the flag?
Score
0
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2013 9:46:09 AM

i agree the 7870xt is a beefed up 7870.

nothing else to see here people.

Score
0
!