Solved

HD 7870 GHz vs HD 7870 Tahiti vs HD 7950

I'm in the market for a new GPU to replace my GTX 560. My budget is about $210 its actually stretched so i can't go any higher. I'm wondering which would be the best card to get between the HD 7870 GHz, HD 7870 Tahiti LE or HD 7950. I game at 1920x1080 and do want some nice eyecandy. I do intend to overclock the card as much as i can get out of it. Games i play Battlefield 3, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Ab, Assassins Creed III, Batman Ac, Borderlands 2, Devil May Cry, Max Payne 3 etc.. The card also has to be under 10.6" and i don't mind buying Pre-owned either.


Cards i'm looking at

XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605

PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E Radeon HD 7870 MYST. Edition (Tahiti LE) $206
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484&Tpk=HD%207870%20tahiti

MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 $210
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667&Tpk=MSi%20HD%207950
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7870 7870 tahiti 7950
  1. Since your price point is 210 the 7870 xt is the best bet, it is almost as powerful as a 7950 (almost the same chip), and with Amd cards you can overclock a good bit so you will probably end up with a bit better performance than a 7950.
  2. Your prices are a bit with the links the 7950 is like $300 the 7870 is $240 and the 7870 XfX is like $230.
  3. ikaz said:
    Your prices are a bit with the links the 7950 is like $300 the 7870 is $240 and the 7870 XfX is like $230.

    those are offers i received for those cards Preowned
  4. gamerkila57 said:
    those are offers i received for those cards Preowned

    Oh i was wondering where you were getting your number. The 7950 for sure then.

    If you aren't getting the 7950, tell them to sell it to me. Ill buy it in a heartbeat.

    _____


    btw if you are going to buy new, get the 7870 LE from power color. A very good buy
  5. Best answer
    compnewb_12 said:
    Since your price point is 210 the 7870 xt is the best bet, it is almost as powerful as a 7950 (almost the same chip), and with Amd cards you can overclock a good bit so you will probably end up with a bit better performance than a 7950.

    You can overclock the 7950 as well >.>
    For $4 more, the 7950 is a waaaaay better deal
  6. Azn Cracker said:
    Oh i was wondering where you were getting your number. The 7950 for sure then.

    If you aren't getting the 7950, tell them to sell it to me. Ill buy it in a heartbeat.

    ummm no :P lol
  7. Azn Cracker said:
    You can overclock the 7950 as well >.>
    For $4 more, the 7950 is a waaaaay better deal

    actually got this offer the last one was $230 so i jumped on this one thx
  8. Best answer selected by gamerkila57.
  9. I would just wait a little bit longer and extend your budget to about $260 and get the VTX Black Edition 7870 it comes with the Tahiti GPU used on the 7970. it has active over clocking built in kind of like a "Turbo Boost" but for the GPU. It has higher GDDR5 clocks at 1500Mhz and a 256bit memory interface. This card is in access of 190GB/s. Also The Black edition has 1500 shader units vs. 1200 on the origanl 7870. Black addition also has 4310M transistor count vs. the orignal 7870 2800M count.

    Theres alot to more to offer on this card for an etra $50 and plent of room for overclocking.
  10. Heres a link for the card mentioned above VTX3D HD 7870 Black Edition

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/VTX3D/Radeon_HD_7870_XT_Black/
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Graphics Product