Dell optiplex 755

Paraplec76

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hi there,just getting into the world of the pc,I have been given a dell optiplex 755 mini tower from a friend in very good working condition,I would like to play some games on it and would like to use this as a starting point to upgrading this machine. To start with what graphics card can I upgrade to??,I've tried looking at videos and comments on you tube with no information on what one fits and works with the set up as it is? Many thanks Sean.

Are you planning to upgrade only video card, or memory as well, and processor if possible?! If the answer is yes, please provide us with complete specs of your Optiplex, such as how much RAM and RAM speed, which processor you have now. Those are upgradable items as well, and somewhat more complicated than hard drive. I, on the first occasion (on iPhone now) will take a detailed look into your specs etc.

Sorry man, somehow I left you alone in dark, my fault. Here is information regarding video card, which will work on your existing power supply.

Unfortunately no card that is more than 7.5 inches long or 2 slots wide will PHYSICALLY FIT inside the case - it was found that only single bracket video card can fit due to BTX MOBO, where card internals facing upward towards PC internals, not ATX, where dual card design is blocking another PCI slot by facing downward.

If you prefer the card with beefier fan, then the length of the card must not exceed 7.5 inches, otherwise only "skinny" single bracket, single slot cards can physically fit.

Pictures below will prove my point.

View shows no room for dual bracket

01optilexgx620backviewe.jpg

Single bracket only, or you have to cut dual bracket in half

02optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

Here you can clearly see only single place for the bracket

03optiplexgx620insidean.jpg

Visual explanation

04optiplex755mt4.jpg

7.5 inches explained, also shown "obstacles"

05optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

This is the picture of actual "skinny" single slot video card (not sure which model)- perfect, "glove" fit.

06optiplex755mt3edit.jpg

So, I found 2 GDDR5 7750 cards (GDDR5 is better than GDDR3, even if GDD3 offers 2 GB RAM), which confirmed in reviews to fit Optiplex gx620, 745 and 755 cases (the difference between those models are different processors).

Skinny, flimsier in terms of construction, completely single slot XFX 7750 http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX775AZNP4-FX-775A-ZNP4/dp/B007Z3T5JC

A bit beefier cooler, not as skinny, more durable in construction PowerColor AX7750 http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-AX7750-1GBD5-DH-Video-Graphics/dp/B00775OC28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362783129&sr=8-1&keywords=AX7750+1GBD5-DH

I cannot say which one of those 2 is better, both are good and got less bad reviews related to structural build.
I saw recent recommendation regarding drivers "Changing to the just-released AMD catalyst 13.2 BETA driver improved performance noticeably in just about every game" posted 03/05/2013.

If you had previously NVIDIA card or NVIDIA chip - drivers have to be completely uninstalled prior to installing ATI card.

This is it.

If you need more information related to processor and RAM upgrades please let me know.