Nvidia display drivers stopped responding and has recovered

tera88

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
So i recently put together a new PC, however i keep getting this error message (nvidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered) while i play games causing the game itself to crash. I had the latest 310.90 version of the driver installed and so I tried re-installing. It crashed yet again after a few minutes in game. So i removed the current version (yes with driver sweeper) and installed the older 310.70, hoping this would resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it didnt. I am rather frustrated and would really like to find a solution for this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My hardware is: (nothing OC)
i5-3570k
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Mushkin 8GB RAM 1600MHz
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Asus GTX660-DC2-2GD5
Seasonic M12ii 650W
Windows 7 64Bit

tera88

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Ive read that this can be cause by overheating? So i did some tests using hw monitor and my GPU is 60 celsius max while in game. Is this a safe operating temperature? As for the BETA drivers, ill give it a shot and ill give an update thanks

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Highly doubt you'll get that error because of overheating. GPUs can go into the 90's and work fine. I've had the error before for no apparent reason. You could have a corrupt file. If you just built a PC, make sure all of the updates are installed. You can also try changing drivers just like Azn suggested whether that's newer or older drivers.

tera88

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
So I updated to BETA drivers as suggested and this seemed to fix the crashing. Ive noticed that it only seems to work with the BETA drivers. A month or so later and it seems to be working fine until a few hours ago, the drivers crashed while I was gaming. I restarted the game up and 5 mins later, it crashed yet again. I underwent my usual routine of uninstalling the driver and using a driver sweeper to ensure there are no corrupt drivers/files remaining. I tried to reinstall the current driver version but to no avail. It continues to constantly crash during graphic intensive activities e.g gaming, watching videos etc. I tried multiple other versions and still the same result.

Any suggestions on what i could do? This is very frustrating...

Is it possible that its a hardware issue rather than a software problem?

Hayseed

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
OK going after a week of booting up to desk top,, just to see the message on the bottom of screen and looking at a black and purple checker board and sometimes just all black,,i have found my problem /solution........in the nvidia control panel under " configure sli,surrond, and Physics " tab there is a bullet for MAXIMIZE 3D PERFORMANCE ,,AND THE BOX WAS CHECKED..I unchecked the box and checked disable sli ,,and auto select for processor ,,and that was it ,,everything works great now,,,,now I do have dual GTS 450 connected in SLI ,,and I dont now why i have to check disable SLI,,but that is another issue to work out but im up and running with no problems when gaming my FPS is between 20-60 and Im not lagging now ,,and my temperatures are good so I hope this INFO will maybe help someone else,,I though i had bad ram a GPU going south a virus or something but that 1 little bullet was destroying my machine,,,wow,,,,,so good luck you guys and GOD BLESS !! :)