mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
My mobo still uses pc133 memory. Will I notice a great performance improvemente putting DDR memories?

I'm most interested in games, and I'm aware that the video card will do the job (GeForce!!!). But will a DDR memory really make a difference in the mother board?

Thank you.

/\/\ito

FatBurger

Illustrious
Putting DDR in your current motherboard will make the performance change to 0% of what it currently is. Buying a DDR motherboard and memory will give you a decent performance boost, depending on which chipset you go with.
Athlon or P4?

Since you're probably confused, you can't use DDR in an SDRAM board. There are three boards that I know of that can use both (not at the same time), but I doubt you have any of those.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hello,

I'm aware of that. Asus a7a266 accepts both DDR and SDRAM.

But I'd like to know if I'll really notice a performance boost switching to a total DDR mobo and using an AMD Athlon CPU.

For example, a classic game like RTWC or MOH...
and using a GeForce III. Will it benefit using DDR memories?

/\/\ito

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
sure dude, like fatburger said

the most increase will come from the vid card in games, but the over all pc performance will go up about %5-15 depending on app

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red> <b>go to my site </b> </font color=red> </A>

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
So if a performance increase of 15% is the most I can get, then we can state that upgrading to DDR isn't really worth it. Do you agree? I was thinking of something above 75% to be really worth it.

Anyway, DDR is the tendency, so sooner or later we'll all have to go for it...

Thanks!

/\/\ito

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
To be a tree:

Oh, to be a tree.
What fun that would be.
To shake my leaves,
and rattle some peaves,
just to pass the time.

Um, oh yeah. As for the whole upgrade to DDR thing with a new motherboard and all, it would give you a performance gain. However, unless you have an old and slow CPU in there and plan on buying a new one, it won't get even close to a 75% performance gain. There is just no way. Well, not unless you have some <i>really</i> majorly bad SDRAM in there.

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
LOL %75?

%15 is rare

<b> <font color=orange> Forum police </font color=orange> </b>
<font color=blue> Here to preserve respect and friendship </font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scamtron on 03/20/02 02:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>