Do new mbs w/333 support pc2700 w/o overclocking?

G

Ok, I am building a new pc. Amd 2000xp w/512 mbs of Corsair pc2700 w/heatspreaders. Ordered the new Asus A7v333 w/raid motherboard. Will this motherboard support the pc2700 w/o overclocking or will overclocking still be needed? I have never overclocked a pc before, yet I have read up on it. Looking to possibly overclock my cpu as well if someone can help me with some tips.

Reg

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Reg12 on 03/20/02 12:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
you don't have to overclock

as far as overclocking goes, i'm sure we can help once you get the mobo

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red> <b>go to my site </b> </font color=red> </A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You like totally won't have to overclock and stuff.

However, from like all that I have heard from like everyone, you totally will not be fully using your RAM's awsome potential unless you crank your Athlon's FSB up to like 166MHz or something.

Yeah.

So like, what you do is totally your choice and all, but like just keep that in mind and stuff.

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
and the best way to do what slvr_phoenix said is to first unlock the cpu. now unless you buy very good cooling solution you'd better take down the mult and raise the frequence, but if you do have good cooling you can do a combination of both to get max performance :smile:

<b> <font color=orange> Forum police </font color=orange> </b>
<font color=blue> Here to preserve respect and friendship </font color=blue>

G

Ok here will be main system specs...

Amd 2000+
Asus A7v333 w/raid (backordered atm asus release date set back)
Geforce 4 ti4400
Corsair pc2700 cas2 w/heatspreaders
"For Cooling" Dr.Thermal Extreme

Basically with that model mobo seems it will support the new memory w/out having to overclock..But no matter what I want to push the memory to its extent at the least.

Reg

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
There is a performance gain but it's marginal, at best. You see, you're not increasing the bandwidth but you are slightly decreasing the relative latency.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not exactly. The DDR333 Cas2.5 won't run Cas2 at that speed, but will run at Cas2 if you set it at DDR266. And 133 Cas2 is quicker response than 166 Cas2.5. For that matter you could simply used Cas2 PC2100 to begin with.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
DDR333 can run at CL2. Corsair PC2700 is real DDR333 RAM that is rated at CL2. Also, KingMAX is real DDR333 too, but is rated at CL2.5. However, because KingMax uses a BGA packaging, it will run cooler and will more likely reach CL2. In any case, the only board that's widely available and truly makes use of DDR333 is the Iwill XP333.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

tigershark

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2002
Last month, even our benevolent hosts couldn't get this module down to CL 2 at 166 MHz. In the article<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q1/020220/kt333-20.html" target="_new">DDR333 For Athlon: VIA KT333 vs. KT266A</A>, they say "In our laboratory tests, however, we were unable to get the hand-picked memory module (PC2700) from Corsair (CM64SD256-2700CX2H) to run in CAS latency mode CL2.0 at 166 MHz memory clock, <b>regardless of the motherboards we used</b>" (emphasis mine).

I recently put new PC133 SDRAM in my "old" PII 400 and set CL down from 3 to 2 and received a very noticable improvement. This was not because there's more memory, it's strictly the latency which caused the boost (I switched between 2 and 3 a few times to verify this). Perhaps this is old news to most of you, but it was a revelation to me! As a result I'm sold on low latency.

I'm thinking about getting another MSI board (I'm totally NOT into overclocking - I run my systems at spec and expect a long life out of them) and building anew from there, but I'm hesitating until I hear some reports that there's some quality RAM on the market that reliably supports CL2 at 166 MHz on this board.

Since cooling seems to be the big issue in terms of stability these days (from my novice perspective anyway :), perhaps it's time to start looking into one of those refrigerator cases...

<A HREF="http://perlprogrammer.net" target="_new">PerlProgrammer</A> :: <A HREF="http://modperldev.com" target="_new">ModPerlDev</A>