Best bang for buck card at 1600X900

A friend of mine is in a dilemma for the best bang for buck card. He wants to be gaming at resolution 1600X900 (that is the maximum resolution his monitor supports)with everything else turned to max.

any suggestions?

what are the most important factors to be taken into account while choosing the same?

thanks in advance :)

Resolution really doesn't matter unless it's extremely low. For a lower mid-ranged resolution such as 1600x900, you'd simply increase the quality settings such as MSAA/AF relative to where they'd be at with 080p and voila, you're making use of the card just as much as you would at 1080p with some of those settings lowered. What card is best bang for your buck is relative to price/performance ratios of different cards, so a better question would be what is the best bang for your buck in a given price range. For example, if you want to spend well under $150, then a Radeon 7770 is your best option whereas right around $150, the 650 Ti is the best answer, and around $170-200, a 7850 is the best answer.

If we go strictly by price/performance, both the 7770 and the 7850 have an advantage over the 650 Ti. The 650 Ti is not the best price/performance card, it's simply the best card right at the $150 mark. The 7770 can be had much more cheaply with a small performance drop and the 7850 can be had for a little more money with a significant performance improvement.

The cheapest 650 Ti in there is $140, the cheapest 7770 is $105, and the cheapest 7850 is $170. Maybe you're counting rebates, but that's wrong to do in a pricing comparison anyway. Furthermore, the 650 Ti is usually closer to the 7770 than it is to the 7850 with current drivers in most situations and I can even tell you the exact reason for that: it's poor memory bandwidth. It's very fast GPU is greatly held back by its memory bandwidth. Only in a few very memory-light situations does it get closer to the 7850 than it is to the 7770.

well I tend to consider MIR's in my comparison as they can change things quite a bit sometimes though one may argue they are not always reliable

well it depends how much the memory bandwidth issue is apparent at 900p and its just as likely to run out of vram before the memory bottleneck becomes to much of an issue since these are 1gb cards

EzioAs

Distinguished

I can vouch for that.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_650_Ti_Direct_Cu_II/28.html

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=680

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/680?vs=549

EzioAs

Distinguished

1GB is still fine for most games at 1080p as long as AA is kept to a minimum (or disabled)

^^ well crysis 3 tags my card at 1080p high settings and 2xmsaa to 1.7gb of vram
those results were with a 2gb 7850

if you look at the 1680x1050 the 650ti either matches the 7850 or fall to about half
the fps when mem/bandwidth bottlenecked

the 7770 either is close to matching the 650 or falls quite a bit short of the 650ti when there is no mem/bottleneck issue and the 650ti can stretch its legs

that asus 650ti semi proves my point since it is 22% faster than the 7770 but 22% slower than the 7850 (its an oc card as the stock 650ti performs 5% worse, but notice its mem speed is not bumped only the core is)
[review was with older drivers so amd is likey doing a bit better now]

MIR's are not only not reliable, but usually not in cash and thus not deductible from the cost unless they are spent as well and then, they don't negate the cost of the original purchase, they merely let you spend get a little more afterwards. They don't change how much you pay to get the card and AMD's Never Settle deal is easily usable in any argument involving MIRs being included and completely throws AMD the advantage at that point.

The 650 Ti does not have enough performance to run out of memory capacity whereas the memory bandwidth is a constant problem. Memory bandwidth hurts MSAA scaling as well as scaling of increasing texture quality and many other such settings if the memory bandwidth is too low like it is for the 650 Ti. Unless you artificially inflate the test to the 650 Ti's favor, it usually only shows to be at best one tier about the 7770 in Tom's tiered hierarchy whereas the 7850 is generally two tiers above it.

There is a huge difference between using x amount of memory and running into a memory capacity bottle-neck. Games often use much more memory than is needed to stop a memory capacity bottle-neck when that much memory is available. For example, although you may use 1.7GB in your situation, your card probably only needs around half that to run that situation properly.

The 650 Ti oly gets near the 7850 in 1600x900/1600x1050 when the tests haven't been adjusted for the performance deficit between those resolutions and 1080p. For example, you can pump up the MSAA on the 7850 without much performance loss at all, greatly reducing the increased tearing from the lower resolution, whereas you can not do that on the 650 Ti without a huge performance drop. The 7770 also doesn't suffer nearly as large of a performance drop as the 650 Ti.

Also, just for clarification, current testing shows that the 7850 is the lowest-end video card that can make use of more than 1GB of graphics memory and even then, only in very few situations does the 2GB model have an advantage over the 1GB model at stock and even then, that issue is easily alleviated by changing the settings around a little. Overclocking would change that around to giving the 2GB model much more of an advantage, but no amount of overclocking lets the 650 Ti need more than 1GB.

also i would like to know if at this resolutions,games would be more cpu intensive or gpu intensive?

he has a 3770k,so i think he would not need anything better.
he is also ready to crossfire or sli if need be.

but I would hate to suggest anything that would be an overkill.

That CPU is already way overkill for a gaming system. It won't cause any issues.

I wouldn't suggest SLI/Crossfire to your friend at this time. That's usually better as an upgrade, not as a starting point.

I'd go for a 2GB model if choosing the 7850 so long as it's affordable. It'll do the job and shouldn't have any issues in the future with memory capacity whereas the 1GB model is much more likely to have issues with memory capacity, granted they're easily alleviated issues with changing the settings around.

The 7850 should do the job at that resolution well, but like I said, going by resolution isn't very important. What really matters is how much you're looking to spend in choose a card for modern gaming because even at something like 720p, you can still pump up the AA to huge enough levels to make use of a very high end graphics card.

Budget is not a concern if it is needed but that does not also mean he buys a 690 just because he can.

he choose the 3770k because he uses a lot of cad,after effect,maya,etc.

actually that is what I suggested....please don't say that is an overkill,he will kill of orelse. ;)

Oh it's not overkill for many workloads outside of gaming, I'm just saying that from a purely gaming perspective, an i5 is plenty.

I think that a 7850 2GB would be plenty for an excellent gaming experience for a good amount of time. If he wants to spend more on a better card, then alright, but if he's just looking for a card to give very good performance instead of going extreme, then there's no need for something extreme like say a Radeon 7970/GTX 670 or even more so a GTX 690.

You can game on professional cards like that (it's my understanding that FirePros are best for this so long as CUDA isn't needed), but unless he knows that he'll get good use out of them outside of gaming, professional cards are usually to expensive to be worth buying.