Sign in with
Your question

560 Ti Freezes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2013 7:42:46 AM

I've recently upgraded my GPU to the GTX 560 Ti, and since then have had this one recurring issue. YouTube videos, Steam videos and occasionally, local media player videos (and anytime I try to render a video) my computer freezes. No artifacts, no errors logged. Just freezes. When I try to restart, it instantly powers down.

I've been googling this issue for a while now, and it seems that it's pretty common for the 560 Ti to have issues with video, especially YouTube. Though, I can find no actual solutions. As all of the threads I've found so far just derail. No gaming issues, and honestly, it performs really, really well. But these crashes need to stop. Any help? Tips? Things to try?

Specs:
Win8
Phenom II x4 B93
6GB Ram
GTX 560 Ti (1GB)

EDIT:

Additionally, I've tried Driver Fusion to remove the old drivers, and I watched some videos without anything nVidia installed. Everything worked fine. Installed newest drivers, errors come back.

More about : 560 freezes

February 13, 2013 8:04:50 AM

Try using drivers downloaded from the site of that card's company instead of the generics from Nvidia. Some card *OEMs* have changes to the card that interfere with the generic Nvidia drivers and require the OEM-specific drivers.
February 13, 2013 9:10:51 AM

Another clean driver install and so far no crashes. Will keep testing.

Thanks for your fast response.
Related resources
February 14, 2013 1:57:46 AM

Alright. So, I've tried the OEM drivers. I've tried the drivers specifically from the disc. (290.10 as opposed to the current 310.90)

What I found is, it's 100% definitely the drivers crashing. Is there any fix to be found..?
February 14, 2013 4:16:27 AM

what is your PSU and what is the readings on +12V the reson for powring down after resatrt is overheating. if the card is not gating enfogh power to it it will lower its power consomtion to prevent overheating
February 14, 2013 4:35:14 AM

asiff6000fx said:
what is your PSU and what is the readings on +12V the reson for powring down after resatrt is overheating. if the card is not gating enfogh power to it it will lower its power consomtion to prevent overheating

I would agree with you, but I rolled the drivers back quite a bit, to the 290s, and instead of freezing, and forcing me to restart, it just crashed the drivers over and over. It's a known issue. I scoured the Zotac boards for a bit. There was a BIOS update that ended up not fixing it.

I'm just going to return the card and try to grab a HD 7850.

But just for the sake of the comment, my PSU is a 600W, brand new. Got it last week.
February 14, 2013 5:55:26 AM

Wattage of a PSU is irrelevant for a graphics card because they, like modern CPUs, use pretty much purely +12V power while ignoring 3.3V and 5V. That makes a PSU's overall wattage number mostly irrelevant these days :/ 

What matters is power delivery on the +12V rails. That PSU is probably enough unless it's a crappy model and/or is failing (may have been nearly DOA).

If the drivers are acting like that, it's also possible that the 560 Ti has had a failure.

Regardless of the cause, replacing it, especially with a lower power consumption card of a different family such as the 7850, will probably solve the issue.
!