False information regarding next generation GPUs?

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Hey guys. How is it going? I hope all is well. I was thinking, whether or not this is true, that the press has been misleading us again to believe that there will not be any new releases for GPUs specifically the most wanted mid-range and high end cards for Nvidia 700 and AMD 8000 series. I have been keep an eye on the store up here in Canada and it seems to me most of them have either sold out of the top cards like Gigabyte R7970, MSI Lightning HD7970, GTX 680 and so on and some stores have some of the cards on clearance sale. This made me think twice as to why they would not be restocking these cards if it's true that there won't be any new GPU release until the end of this year/beginning of the next.

So I figure something shady is going here. The two players want all their cards of the 600/7000 generation gone from store shelves with all the bundling they are promoting so that when the new cards come out sometime soon they will have the upper hand to demand more for them. This sentiment seemed to be echoed by the people who work in one of the store that I went to yesterday.

So what I am asking is: What do you think is going on here?

Solution
I think most of the rumors we have been reading are just that: rumors. I have heard anywhere from March to Q4 for 700/8000 series release dates. Speculating on pricing/specs is even more pointless. We will just have to have patience and wait for an announcement from AMD/Nvidia. As for the game bundles, maybe they just want to sell more cards.
I think most of the rumors we have been reading are just that: rumors. I have heard anywhere from March to Q4 for 700/8000 series release dates. Speculating on pricing/specs is even more pointless. We will just have to have patience and wait for an announcement from AMD/Nvidia. As for the game bundles, maybe they just want to sell more cards.

Solution
Hi, I'm well thanks, you good? :D

At the end of the day it's all rumours, tech sites making stuff up or twisting the truth in order to get website hits and traffic, however a rep from AMD has said that AMD and their AIB's are happy with the 7xxx's and that the 7xxx series will be their focus for the foreseeable future.

I reckon we will see the next gen from both sides in Q4 (2013), but that's just my guess.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
That's what I was thinking. No one knows the price, however, whoever comes out first will charge a killing until the other one brings out their hardware too. I think these rumors are also generated by the big two to drive sales of their current product and hence more bundles for their GPUs. Time will tell but I'm thinking there's no way they're going to pass on money that they get from us upgrading every year (well for those who have money and want supreme performance all the time).

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I'm good thanks.

Yeah AMD did say that but I doubt they have enough parts left for 7000 series, most store are selling out and some high end cards are on clearance and that what got me thinking. Some of the cards up here like Lightning and R7970 and 680 Top aren't being restocked at all. Why is that? Something fishy going on here with the sites getting their hits like wanderer11 pointed out.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Amd usually release their new cards before Nvidia. My rumor has it they were going to release much sooner with their 8xxx series. Until the sudden specifications of Titan appeared and after reading a reasonable excuse behalf from another Tom's user, seems Amd are delaying their next flagship GPU for some reason and are instead concentrating their efforts shipping Gpus for the next gen consoles.

Xfiles chime please ;)

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Xfiles indeed. Yeah I heard about their need to concentrate on console releases and what not. Well, they don't have to sit on their laurels and let Nvidia take over the game, they can do both parts; sell to console makers and high-end pc customers. I think it might be that they have no answer for the Titan (rumors until proven true) so they have to go back to the drawing boards. I'm just waiting to see what happens.

according to the current release cycle it should be april or may, although they are rumored to be delayed untill the forth quarter. I did notice some new stuff hitting the stores, in the 7000 series or at least new to me. With the addition of V2 versions of current hardware, it makes me think they will have a 2nd or 3rd quarter release. i guess it depends on how quick they belive the other guy can get out the new hardware. I read that oem's are already getting the 8000 series, but they are just repackaged 7000's series.
example: ASUS ROG ARES II
ASUS HD7950-DC2-3GD5

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

You are right on some of the cards being V2s. I hope they don't stop stocking up since I want to get a AMD HD 7970 with aftermarket cooler in CFX. But I am currently holding out until the rumored titan comes out, I have enough money to buy 2 of those even though I feel like I shouldn't and save my money by getting 2 of these http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7970-2PMD3GD5-OC.html or http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7970-Lightning-BE.html and grab the 900D .