Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Computers
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2013 11:33:59 AM

Hi there,

I just need a little help choosing a GPU that fits in my price range and is right for my system. I'm planning to build my computer, or add to a barebone system, and am looking at using an FX-6300 CPU, a 970 chipset motherboard and will be using a monitor with a resolution of 1440 x 900.

I was thinking about getting an AMD 7850 GPU, however, after looking around I found that this might be complete overkill. My only concern that if I go back to the 6000 series, my computer won't be able to play top-end games in a few years.

Thanks in advance.

More about : choosing gpu

February 13, 2013 11:38:37 AM

The Radeon 7770 is a nice card, for $100 or less sometimes. It will easily render 1440 X 900
a c 119 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 2:40:26 PM

Mullac said:
Hi there,

I just need a little help choosing a GPU that fits in my price range and is right for my system. I'm planning to build my computer, or add to a barebone system, and am looking at using an FX-6300 CPU, a 970 chipset motherboard and will be using a monitor with a resolution of 1440 x 900.

I was thinking about getting an AMD 7850 GPU, however, after looking around I found that this might be complete overkill. My only concern that if I go back to the 6000 series, my computer won't be able to play top-end games in a few years.

Thanks in advance.

Hi - icemunk's rec of 7770 is good.

You might want to consider the 7850 (2g) anyway. It is generally
regarded as an ex price/value card, and the games seem to be
getting more demanding all the time. And, you might get the urge
to update to a 1080p monitor, in which case the 7850 will come in handy.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 119 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 2:40:41 PM

Mullac said:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

Hi - icemunk's rec of 7770 is good.

You might want to consider the 7850 (2g) anyway. It is generally
regarded as an ex price/value card, and the games seem to be
getting more demanding all the time. And, you might get the urge
to update to a 1080p monitor, in which case the 7850 will come in handy.

sorry for dbl post - I get an error every so often when I submit &
don't know if it goes thru.
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 2:45:59 PM

I agree with toyftw, get a 7850. It's a great card and I don't think there is really any such thing as over kill with some of the modern games.
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 2:57:20 PM

7850 is basicly "the top you will need" in that resolution.
This means it "should" run everything in ultra settings.
Ofc there may be some exceptions as there are not so many tests runned in that particular resolution.

The nice thing is if you get this card, you could eitehr later on move to a higher resolution, or for example use your "living room tv" (assuming there is one) with heavier AA to get the games looking good (if you do go AA check sweet FX, its better than any AA right now out there).

February 13, 2013 4:24:42 PM

Thanks guys for your replies.

I'll start looking around for the 7850 2gb and try and squeeze it into my budget.
a c 119 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 4:35:38 PM

Mullac said:
Thanks guys for your replies.

I'll start looking around for the 7850 2gb and try and squeeze it into my budget.

Good choice - imagine how you'd feel if you were playing with
a 7770 and it wasn't quite enough, and you knew you
should have gone with a 7850 2g.

Tom
!