Capture Cards? or a Simple Firewire Port is enough

G

Hi all! This is my first post!

Well, I bought a brand new DV camera, JVC GR-DVL309, and
I want to edit a upload videos to DV again. The question is:

Miro DV: medium price, is a simple firewire port with lot of expensive soft? What is the function of the chipset Sony DV, in the specifications says it is a hardware accelerator, this means that does not compress / uncompress the DV. Is really necessary this card only for this chipset?

Conceptronic: a simple Firewire port, will I get any difference with miro DV? The software is not a problem, you know. And of course this PCI card is cheaper than miro´s.

My PC is a Pentium III 500 192 RAM (100 MHZ).

Thnx for reply

G

PIII 500 is little slow for working with DV in software mode like you do with a normal Fire wire card. but it will be my first choice with a DV camera (Price wise).

Saying that, if you are not planing to upgrade very soon, then I ecommend the Pinnacle DC10+.
It work not in DV but in Mjpeg and work fine also on old slow computers.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
As mentioned above, you are running on the minium requirements for digital video; and if you are running Windows ME or 98, you will have even more problems with system crashes. If you could give us your system specs, we would appriecate it so we could offer you more advice.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

Ok, My specs are PIII500, 192 Mb RAM (PC100), Windows XP Pro, ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X, HD Fujitsu MPD3064AT (8 Gb 5400 rpm) and the "dilema": a simple firewire port or a capturer card (Miro...)

On Monday, I will test a Conceptronic Firewire Card and if it there are a lot of problems (crashes...), maybe I could buy a Miro Studio DV, because I would like to use the "DV-in" feature to upload the edited video to the camera.

I know there is nothing like the Mac, I love this kind of computers, but at this moment it is impossible for me.

Greetings from Spain and sorry for my english...

G

P III 500 is on the limit of being able to capture/Export
8G drive is too small for any thing meaningfull and 5400 is little slow, espacially if the system swap file is on it as well.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

G

OK, suposse that I buy a new pc. AMD XP 1800+, Windows XP Pro, HD Barracuda IV (40 Gb 7200 ATA100), etc

Would you buy a Miro Studio DV Card or a Simple Firewire Port like Conceptronic or Adaptec. That´s the quid of the question.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
In reality, mate, the answer to your question seems to be more financial than technical.

A dedicated card is almost always better than any other option but it is more expensive. This is true about all devices.

For example, technically, you are better of buying a separate video card + a separate TV tuner + a separate Video capture device (and, of course, you want to get the best of each :eek:). But if you do, you are looking at $1000.00 worth of components here.

At the same time, there are other viable solutions, like a combo card, such as ATI All-in Wonder or an ASUS V8200T5 Ti-500 Deluxe which cost less than half of the cost of individual components.

So, draw your own conclusions. I would go for the card, and as Scuba suggested above, Studio DC-10+ is very good and comes with all the software. You DO need a BIG hard drive though. Your computer is fine and fast enough for direct streaming, but if you want to EDIT video using multiple fiters on it, you are looking at many frustrating hours of waiting for the processes to complete.

G

Miro ??? Pinnacle buy Miro some 5 years ago.

The Pinnacle Studio DV is a normal Fire wire card that come with Studio DV software that was tested to work with video.

G

Ok ok, it is Pinnacle.

But it is a simple firewire port, the thing that makes this card expensive is the software.

G

Yes.
The Pinnacle Studio DV is a normal OCHI compatible fire wire card that is coming bundeled with Studio DV 7 editing program.
But it was tested to work with video 100% caouse as you know, not all cards have been created equal...

G

Well, I have bought a Conceptronic Firewire OHCI Compliant Card. This cards works great, with Studio 7 I capture frames with no losses and with Ulead Studio too. With Premiere it is impossible, it losses a lot of frames, this is because of my pc.

I am sure that with a Pinnacle Studio DV the situation would be the same.