Audigy problems

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
I've a really weird problem. I installed my audigy and it worked fine in XP, worked on the first install. Then I tried out mandrake, never could get it to work (I know that I had to do something for this to work with regard to getting the right drivers and such, I never looked too terribly hard for them) so I went back to XP and the card wouldn't install. period. so I slipped back to 2000 and still it wouldn't install. so I slipped back to 98se and it "installs" by which I mean that the audigy installation cd recognises that there is an audigy, it installs the drivers and then it reboots. then the problems start. when it's updating the registry some program I have never seen before (I formatted completely each time I installed the sound card) called ReadReg threw a fatal error each and every time I tried installing the card. I have the epox 8kha+ and tried installing 98se with the on board sound card both on and off and I used the non fancy driver installation program on the cd to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them. I tried running the patch but the patch said I didn't have an audigy. I'm out of ideas as to what to try.

here's what I have:
1.666ghz athlon XP, 512 crucial ddr, epox8kha+, antec 400W, 3com nic card.

I dunno if this would affect it but when I installed my modem and my nic card, the computer booted itself up. I can't see how this would harm the sound card but it sure freaked me out.

Any ideas would be much appriciated.

Unfortunately I can't return the card anymore because the 30 days has expired. if I can't get this card to work I've read good things about the santa cruz and will probably get it instead of another audigy.

Thanks in advance,
MStakem

FatBurger

Illustrious
I dunno if this would affect it but when I installed my modem and my nic card, the computer booted itself up.

Let me guess, you have the WOL (Wake on Lan) plugged in, and you plugged in the network cable before powering up?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
Maybe I dunno. It happened with my modem as well.

I just installed the 4-1 via pack and will try to reinstall the card. Hopefully this will fix it...

MStakem

FatBurger

Illustrious
Which means you probably plugged in the WOM (Wake on Modem) as well.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
Do the Wake on Lan/Modem have white 3 prong connections on the motherboard called WOL and WOM? If so I don't have anything plugged in there.

MStakem

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's really odd then. Oh well, it's probably not worth worrying about.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
Cool, I got a WOL/WOM wire with my dvd-rom from pioneer. Any clue why? It doesn't fit on the back of the dvd player at all. My guess is they meant to send the audio wire but messed up. Still pending on the creative response. This is getting rediculous I'll probably get the santa cruz here soon.

Thanks,
MStakem