Should I grab this card?

Solution
it is always better to wait.....but if you want it really bad.
7970 is not a bad option at all.

huge amount of vram is just a marketing gimmick.

the day is not far when you would have 8-16gigs of vram but you would never require them

Hi - a couple of things.

Your system specs. If it isn't sufficient, then what's the point in a 7970.

What's the price of the card you linked? Don't know if it's
a fair deal or not.

Hi - a couple of things.

Your system specs. If it isn't sufficient, then what's the point in a 7970.

What's the price of the card you linked? Don't know if it's
a fair deal or not.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

I had SLI. I ran into many problems with it in stock settings and OCd settings. Could never play without crashing. Heated up big time even though I have tons of air going through my case and have enough power as you can see so I had to return it. Did all the PCI-E switching and what not and after a night of no sleep I took the other card back. So now I decided I'm going AMD CF or 690 SLI. Crossfire is cheaper and can handle my setup in a month that will have 3*27" Dell monitors (2 more are coming in) running at 7680x1440p.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

That's what I thought. So I get it's better I grab that card, sell this one, get my monitors in and grab another one of the same card. I wish they had the Lightning 7970 up here and amazon is selling it for over $600 which is crazy, amazon.ca that is.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

You have 2 more 27" monitors and you're looking for a cheaper setup? :heink: never seen a benchmark run 3x 1440p resolution before. you can wait for the geforce titan and SLI those. just think what you can do with 6gb of vram and a pair of 512-bit interface. :eek:

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

I'm looking for a better setup what I had was cheap. The HD 7970 cards in CF will be able to handle the resolution fine. I'm not sure what the price of the Titan will end up being. I currently have a single 27" by dell and I'm planning on getting 2 more. So I'm shopping for cards that will give me better performance. Titan so far is a rumor until proven true. I can hold off on the cards but if I get one now for sale then why not?

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I might have to play the waiting game and see what the end of this month has to offer. If they titan does come out and they do a review showing what it can do then I'll grab it. Sucks to pass on such deals but there will be more in time. Cheers!