Solved

Should I grab this card?

Hey guys. I hope that you're all doing great today. So taking time off work here to quickly check with you what you think about this card from MSI. Should I grab it or not? Link below, it's MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 clocked at 1010MHz. Thanks for the help.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7970-2PMD3GD5-OC.html

Cheers
Hero1
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should grab card
  1. hero1 said:
    Hey guys. I hope that you're all doing great today. So taking time off work here to quickly check with you what you think about this card from MSI. Should I grab it or not? Link below, it's MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 clocked at 1010MHz. Thanks for the help.

Cheers
    Hero1

Hi - a couple of things.

Your system specs. If it isn't sufficient, then what's the point in a 7970.

What's the price of the card you linked? Don't know if it's
    a fair deal or not.
  2. hero1 said:

Cheers
    Hero1

Hi - a couple of things.

Your system specs. If it isn't sufficient, then what's the point in a 7970.

What's the price of the card you linked? Don't know if it's
    a fair deal or not.
  3. why would you want a 7970 when you have a 670 already....get another 670 instead and sli them.

it would become a different league of a beast altogether
  4. http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=046195

That's the price. I currently own a 27' Dell as you can see on my specs and I'm planning on adding 2 more and having either 690 in SLI or grab the one I linked (2 of those) 1 now and another later in order to handle gaming at 7680x1440p.
  5. if you are planning multi monitor....go for the 7970 then.

amd is better than nvidia for multi monitors(way better)
  6. siddharthmukul007 said:
    why would you want a 7970 when you have a 670 already....get another 670 instead and sli them.

it would become a different league of a beast altogether

I had SLI. I ran into many problems with it in stock settings and OCd settings. Could never play without crashing. Heated up big time even though I have tons of air going through my case and have enough power as you can see so I had to return it. Did all the PCI-E switching and what not and after a night of no sleep I took the other card back. So now I decided I'm going AMD CF or 690 SLI. Crossfire is cheaper and can handle my setup in a month that will have 3*27" Dell monitors (2 more are coming in) running at 7680x1440p.
  7. siddharthmukul007 said:
    if you are planning multi monitor....go for the 7970 then.

amd is better than nvidia for multi monitors(way better)

That's what I thought. So I get it's better I grab that card, sell this one, get my monitors in and grab another one of the same card. I wish they had the Lightning 7970 up here and amazon is selling it for over $600 which is crazy, amazon.ca that is.
  8. What about this: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=045297 I like the cooler on it but I'm not sure about it's OC capabilties.
  9. you should indeed get the 7970 and sell off the 670.

7970 can oc like a beast....have a good time gaming.

also the included 3gb of vram is best for high resolutions i.e. vs the 2gb per gpu for the 690
  10. Well I got to find someone to take my card and then I'll set. No luck on ebay. I'm going to list it for 330. Hope it sells asap.
  11. that gigabyte card is not bad.....but its cooler is very noisy and not as efficient as it seems.

msi cards are great though

you can also check out ncix
  12. They seem to have the Gigabyte on sale at NCIX. This card had the Tom's recommendation award. I plan on replacing that cooler with water block.
  13. hero1 said:
    I had SLI. I ran into many problems with it in stock settings and OCd settings. Could never play without crashing. Heated up big time even though I have tons of air going through my case and have enough power as you can see so I had to return it. Did all the PCI-E switching and what not and after a night of no sleep I took the other card back. So now I decided I'm going AMD CF or 690 SLI. Crossfire is cheaper and can handle my setup in a month that will have 3*27" Dell monitors (2 more are coming in) running at 7680x1440p.

You have 2 more 27" monitors and you're looking for a cheaper setup? :heink: never seen a benchmark run 3x 1440p resolution before. you can wait for the geforce titan and SLI those. just think what you can do with 6gb of vram and a pair of 512-bit interface. :o
  14. Au_equus said:
    You have 2 more 27" monitors and you're looking for a cheaper setup? :heink: never seen a benchmark run 3x 1440p resolution before. you can wait for the geforce titan and SLI those. just think what you can do with 6gb of vram and a pair of 512-bit interface. :o

I'm looking for a better setup what I had was cheap. The HD 7970 cards in CF will be able to handle the resolution fine. I'm not sure what the price of the Titan will end up being. I currently have a single 27" by dell and I'm planning on getting 2 more. So I'm shopping for cards that will give me better performance. Titan so far is a rumor until proven true. I can hold off on the cards but if I get one now for sale then why not?
  15. Best answer
    it is always better to wait.....but if you want it really bad.
    7970 is not a bad option at all.

huge amount of vram is just a marketing gimmick.

the day is not far when you would have 8-16gigs of vram but you would never require them
  16. I might have to play the waiting game and see what the end of this month has to offer. If they titan does come out and they do a review showing what it can do then I'll grab it. Sucks to pass on such deals but there will be more in time. Cheers!
  17. Best answer selected by hero1.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Graphics MSI-Microstar