Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7970HD vs GTX 680

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2013 3:32:04 PM

I know this is the type of thread that gets seen a lot but I have yet to have my question anwsered just by reading the boards so sorry if this seems redundent.

I know that both of these cards benchmark similar in games, but I do know that more and more games seem to be using the NVIDIA Physix engine. Since AMD cards cannot process Physix, it will lag the game up unless you turn it off. I feel like I am missing out on some of the graphics by doing this and was wondering if it is worth the extra money by going with Nvidia vs AMD.

Also I only have a PCI Express 2.0 port. Since these cards are 3.0 will I be bottlenecking my card?

My current specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte: ga-970a-UD3
CPU: FX8350
RAM: 16GB Gskill 1600MHZ
Graphics: ASUS Direct CUII Radeon 6950HD 1GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Optical Drive: Samsung 12X Blu-ray Burner

More about : radeon 7970hd gtx 680

February 13, 2013 3:43:54 PM

First of all, the PCI 3.0 cards will fit in the 2.0 slot as the Graphics cards are backwards compatible. Also as of present there is no huge performance increase between them both, so that won't cause a noticeable bottleneck.
Now,
PhysX just adds some fancy physics calculations and animations to make things feel a bit more real, but I don't think this is present in all games. If you are going to be playing the latest modern games with powerful physical game engines then you should probably pay the extra.
Here's a 'theoretical' (not necessarily accurate) comparison, based of pure specification: http://www.hwcompare.com/12351/geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeo...

Regards,
Dan.
m
l
!