Sign in with
Your question

What path do I choose?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2013 6:59:56 PM

Hello everyone! Just got my tax money, time to upgrade. I am a gamer, and looking to get better frame rate in my games. I like to play at high settings, graphics are nice , but lately in my games my frame rate is terrible. (BF3 at high settings 1900x1080 I get on average maybe 40-60 fps, and my new game SWTOR on high settings, average is sometimes at 25-35 fps) If I could only choose one path, what would benefit me more?

I am in a bind. I have about $600 to upgrade my PC. Here's what I got

AMD Phenom II 1045T 6-core @ 2.7Ghz
Current MB only supports PCIe 1.1
8 gigs standard 1066 ram
Nvidia GTX 560 ti OC

I am curious as to what would help me more. Here's what my money will get me

Intel i5 3570 3.4 Ghz Quad core (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
8 gigs PC 2133 RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
AZRock Z75 MB PCIe 3.0 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

And a few other things (i.e. new case, cpu fans, etc..)

Or would upgrading to say a GTX 660 to be better? I guess would my current system of 2.7 ghz and PCIe 1.1 bottleneck the new card, or would upgrading my current system to a PCIe 3.0 help my current GTX 560 ti? Any help/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

More about : path choose

a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:09:50 PM

well you can get the 3570 and choose an h77 mobo 2 go with it.no need to choose a z chipset mobo if your processor is non k
a pair of 1600mhz vengeance should be good.
you can than go for the 660
m
l
February 13, 2013 7:16:17 PM

I should have said, with the new case, MB, CPU, etc...that comes to around $550 with shipping and all. I wouldn't be able to afford a GPU. I know the 660ti isnt more than $300 range, but if I could save some money, that would be nice too :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:24:35 PM

ok i get it now...first of if you want to remain with your processor,you would have to change your mobo and than the ram.

while on the other end if you choose Intel you will have to change the whole thing.

you can use your processor for now,just upgrade your mobo and the ram and get the 660...that is what I would have done if I were you
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:42:51 PM

I don't think that a 660 is that much of an upgrade from your 560ti for it to be a good value. If you go with a new cpu, mb and ram, you will have a great base for down the road. You should be able to get decent money for the parts you own now, if you are interested in selling them. I would wait to get a new gpu until the new generation of cards come out to pick up a new one. Maybe you can use your cash from selling part towards a new gpu?

In the end though, the gpu upgrade will give you the best fps increase. I still believe your cash is better spent on a newer platform. You electric bill with go down too, as the Intel chips are way more efficient than your x6.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:46:48 PM

GTX 560 ti is still a pretty darn good GPU. The GTX 560 ti should still be sufficient until the next 700 series launch. Upgrading the GPU now seems kinda stupid to me.

Your system is actually quite balanced and still would provide great performance for you atm.! I would actually start from scratch with a new desktop, sell the one you own now and you'll have more than enough to get you a sweet rig. You could easily get 500$ out of it AT LEAST.
m
l
February 13, 2013 10:17:55 PM

I also made the mistake of saying GTX 660, it was a 660 ti...but now I'm hearing they are overpriced for not being much better than the 660 itself. So, if I upgrade my mobo/cpu and ram, would that help my 560 ti that much?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 4:39:25 AM

your upgrade to i5 should help you a little for sure but don't expect big things during gaming coz your gpu is going to be the same.....you would be a faster with productivity and stuff like that.

but like i mentioned before....since your cpu is non-k better save a few bucks by buying an h77 chipset mobo
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 9:35:08 AM

My personal policy.. Upgrade CPU first, GPU later. You will probably not be able to enjoy the newest games on highest settings if you are not upgrading the GPU at the same time but it's better to have a powerful CPU and only have to worry about upgrading the GPU for a good while.
m
l
!