Sign in with
Your question

Should I Upgrade my GFX card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2013 7:32:36 PM

Hello everyone, I currently play WoW and LoL and I was thinking of getting into Diablo also, but when I tried to download it, it wouldn't allow me to play because of my graphic's aren't the best. On LoL I can play at normal, but on WoW I must play at the lowest and I still have lag.

I have a hp p6420f. Intel Q8300 Quad core 2.5 Ghz with 8g of RAM. It's an alright processor, but my graphics card is the g43/g45 express chip set which I'm thinking I'm going to need to replace.. What should I get in place of it? Also, will I need to purchase any additional things like a power supply?

Thanks!

More about : upgrade gfx card

a c 133 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:36:02 PM

Sadly you are very limited to a few factors.

CPU: your cpu is quite aged now its older then 4 years now and will not get you nearly as far.
RAM: I would suspect you have 4 gigabytes or less of ddr2 ram which is slower and also the amount of ram isn't optimal.

Without knowing your other components its hard to weight absolutely everything but I can tell you that WoW and LoL are heavily CPU/HDD bound yes graphics help but where the true speed comes from is IO performance and CPU performance.
m
l
February 13, 2013 7:38:02 PM

bigshootr8 said:

CPU: your cpu is quite aged now its older then 4 years now and will not get you nearly as far.
RAM: I would suspect you have 4 gigabytes or less of ddr2 ram which is slower and also the amount of ram isn't optimal.

Without knowing your other components its hard to weight absolutely everything but I can tell you that WoW and LoL are heavily CPU/HDD bound yes graphics help but where the true speed comes from is IO performance and CPU performance.

So what do you suggest I do/ upgrade?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:40:45 PM

If you want to just add a graphics card without having to upgrade the power supply, I would recommend the Amd Radeon 7750 card. You can buy it on newegg.com or Amazon for less than a hundred dollars. If you want to change your power supply, the Amd Radeon 7850 would be a great gaming card. You would probably need to buy a 500 or more watt power supply of a good brand though. The Nvidia GT 640 would also be a good card to buy that's cheap and low power like the 7750.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:42:48 PM

Well it truly depends on what you have to spend. I would say beyond a certain point budget wise it may be better for you to have a full bucket upgrade. However if you are stretched for cash and need a now upgrade then maybe something swil suggested will suffice although its a temp solution not a long term solution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:44:21 PM

bigshootr8 said:

Just about every game on the market will run with a dual core cpu, it's recommended that most newer games have a quad core though. I think his cpu is fine for the next couple of years.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:45:36 PM

He has a very old processor that is dated and will not get him far. The architecture, the cache the memory controller on the socket 775 boards is not up to snub with today's games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:47:29 PM

bigshootr8 said:
He has a very old processor that is dated and will not get him far. The architecture, the cache the memory controller on the socket 775 boards is not up to snub with today's games.

I guess it all depends on the game. For the games he's playing, he shouldn't have any problems.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 7:50:44 PM

True enough a 650Ti and a 7770/ or 7850 with 1GB should get you by. However with an aging system your computer is headed for a brick wall.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 9:28:26 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

If thats your PC then a safe bet would be a AMD 7750 should be able to run in your PSU. However if you want a little performance then you would need to replace your PSU (something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... note that was just the first ok PSU I found there are probably better for around the same price AR) and you can upgrade to a 7850 with out issue.
m
l
!