Upgrade my GPU, currently have 560Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrik V

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I recently overhauled my gig (excluding the GPU):
Windows 8, Intel Core i7-3930K 6-Core, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 560Ti, ASUS Sabertooth X79, 4x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Samsung 128GB SSD (supplemented with a 1TB disk and 3TB NAS), CoolerMaster HAF 932, Corsair H100 w/ push/pull

(I was previously running Core2 Quad on an ASUS P5B deluxe w/ 4GB DDR2 & disk drives which I setup in 2006 or so; the gig is still capable and I'm going to give it to my brother-in-law)

Anyway, so I'm "bottlenecked" (if you can really call it that) at the GPU and I'm always dreaming about upgrades for fun; I'm curious what the community would recommend for potential options.
What are the pros/cons on a new high-end single card compared to an additional 560Ti for SLI setup?
What are the benefits on waiting a year or so for better GPUs / prices of current GPS to drop?

I play alot of Civ V and it flies right now (until late game marathon/huge as can be expected), and all RPGs fly on max high, so I have the time to wait. Like I said, just curious.

Thanks for your input.

Solution
if only we had bought the 2 gig GDDR versions then an SLI would be fun to do.

What are the pros/cons on a new high-end single card compared to an additional 560Ti for SLI setup?

while you can get more speed and it may help with late game CIV (one of my favorite games) you cannot push any higher texture graphics through so unless you find a cheap one on craiglist I would not do it.

What are the benefits on waiting a year or so for better GPUs / prices of current GPS to drop?

I am waiting till the 512 bit GDDR graphics cards come out and down in price to purchase
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130781

I think this is a quickly coming bottleneck and I do not want to purchase before these come out in mass...

Hi - a couple questions 1st - what resolution are you playing at?
What's your $$ budget?

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
The benefits of waiting are obvious, you get a better card. Don't do sli because you will get ram bottlenecks, I got a lot of them with a single 560ti, also you can get a card that is better than 2 560ti's for a little more than a single 560ti. What is your budget? If there isn't one, then the strongest card out right now is the 7970 ghz. Soon the geforce titan will be out, but that card may be very overpriced.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
The benefits of waiting are obvious, you get a better card. Don't do sli because you will get ram bottlenecks, I got a lot of them with a single 560ti, also you can get a card that is better than 2 560ti's for a little more than a single 560ti. What is your budget? If there isn't one, then the strongest card out right now is the 7970 ghz. Soon the geforce titan will be out, but that card may be very overpriced.

fkr

Splendid
if only we had bought the 2 gig GDDR versions then an SLI would be fun to do.

while you can get more speed and it may help with late game CIV (one of my favorite games) you cannot push any higher texture graphics through so unless you find a cheap one on craiglist I would not do it.

I am waiting till the 512 bit GDDR graphics cards come out and down in price to purchase
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130781

I think this is a quickly coming bottleneck and I do not want to purchase before these come out in mass.

So I am scouring craiglist for the first $80 560 I see then I will run my first SLI build till the next round, or if I see a cheap 2 GIG one I will buy that and sell my 1 GiG

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.