GTX 670 - 55inch TV

daterxies

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I bought this Gigabyte GTX 670 about 5-6 months ago, and i just recently bought a 55 inch tv. I had a Plasma before so never wanted to hook tv up to it, but i bought a LED so not worried anymore.

Before i invest in a 15 foot HDMI Cable does anyone have experience with this card and about this size of TV? I would run games @ 1080, would i be able to pull off high graphics still with most games or will a TV this size have a significant impact on performance?

Thanks!

Solution

Monitors also come with IPS variants...

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
What resolution do you have on your monitor?

TV size will not affect the performance of the card; resolution will. If you use 1080p on your computer's monitor, you'll have the same performance on your TV at 1080p.

As mentioned above, response time may be affected.

If you have a shorter cable, drag your PC to the TV and give it a go.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Peripheral (keyboard/mouse) input lag with higher response displays will be noticed. More so in racing games but not much in other genres.

Just an idea you might be interested in, instead of using a long hdmi cable (there maybe issues with length, needing repeaters which could cost big dollars), is this because of the restriction length of your keyboard/mouse? Consider looking into the Logitech MX5500 Wireless Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo.

I use a different shorter usb Bluetooth receiver so it can fit into the TV unit in the lounge as its plugged into front usb slot where the door closes, the receiver can go up to 10 meters in range (think the receiver mx5500 comes with does a lot more than that, don't remember) and i can sit anywhere in my lounge and the response is instant with both keyboard and mouse. Only negative thing i guess is they use batteries but do last a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126038&Tpk=logitech%20mx5500

Let the keyboard/mouse come to you instead of the computer if you have room for it obviously :)

When i got into PC lounge gaming i chose Bluetooth because back then (2-3yrs) traditional wireless didn't have the range, like 1.5m. Could be something else better out now though. The MX5500 has been out for a few years now and is still on the market which must prove it's very popular.

craigster586

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
I'm in the same boat. I'm running a 60 inch LED Sharp Aquos and on a Quodro FX 1800m lol and its still amazing. I'm just not sure if 3 monitors are better than one giant one though. If you have it use it. Thats what I did.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Make sure that the HDMI devices are not HDCP compliant. I'm not sure how the GTX 670 acts with HDCP outputs, because my GTX 670 is not hooked up to anything that is HDCP. Other than that, keep in mind that 1080p = 1920x1080, whether it's on a 22" screen, or a 110" projection, it's still 1920x1080 pixels, but other than that, you should be fine.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Well let me step right in here...

A TV is perfectly fine / amazing for gaming, I even recommend it over a normal monitor as the colour reproduction is usually much better. For my pc I use a 32inch Sony EX720 with an EVGA GTX 670 via HDMI and it's perfect. I also sometimes hook it up in the lounge to the 55inch LG.

There is zero input lag on both TVs because both have a "Game" mode which disables some features (like motion flow) but negates the input lag and essentially turns it into a "monitor". I normally switch to Cinema mode when watching videos or playing RTS games for ultra smooth playback.

I can write a 10 billion word essay on this... Bottom line, just do it, you won't look back :)

Monitors also come with IPS variants, which also have good quality color production.

However, input lag is not non-existent with either TV's or the IPS monitors. While you might not notice it, others do. I actually get sick when the latency gets larger and I control the view with a mouse. I also require 80+ FPS to remove simulator sickness along with low input latency in order not to experience nausea when gaming (low FPS also causes latency).

TN panels, which have the poor color quality, have great response times and low input latency. It is a trade off. For gaming, having very low latency makes things feel much smoother, but you also need good FPS, or that will also cause latency.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't like playing on any IPS LCD tvs, i like my twitchy gaming to be spot on and when its big displays (except projectors - don't have the room) i stand by Plasma.

Panasonic's variety are solid units, response is less than a ms (as with majority of Plasmas with gas filled pixels allowing quicker light penetration compared to liquid LCD) and still with perfect picture quality. Image retention is a tiny issue when browsing if not set to game mode (enabling pixel rotation) something with white background, can sometimes see bit of something, but they wash away quickly and while gaming (what i use it for) none of that is noticeable, and wouldn't trade the feel for any positives an LCD has over Plasma.

chida86

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Your mouse response will be horrible. feel's like your swinging a whip around on planetside2 but is awesome I run ultra everything on 2 560Ti's on my 55" tv no issues as long as one is dedicated to PhysX if you have it on. update change settings in nvidia control to 1680x1050 no mouse lag and fit to 55" screen perfectly.