Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stuck on upgrading GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 13, 2013 10:38:00 PM

I currently using crossfire 6950s but the problem is that there is little to no room to fit a soundcard into the motherboard. The soundcard can fit inside but both cards will have around 3-5mm of space between the PCBs.

I don't know if it's worth upgrading to a single 7970 Oc'd so that i have room for my sound card or if i should keep the loud hot crossfired 6950s.

I am already willing to spend £300 on the sound setup but I'm not so sure about the £340 for the GPU.

Anyone got any ideas on what i should do ?

More about : stuck upgrading gpu

February 13, 2013 10:41:15 PM

New case/motherboard might be a better idea if you don't want to drop even more cash on the cards.
February 13, 2013 10:43:53 PM

Honestly, I would perhaps wait for the next series of cards to come out. Either later this year or early next. At this point in time I feel like the value you would get with the cards you have over the 7970 oc or ghz would be a side grade. I'm a audiophile myself which puts me in the same place you are in when I have 2 cards in CF/SLi.

A couple of things that cross my mind you can get a passive water cooler for both cards if you have two 120 fan spots for it.
You could get a motherboard with more slot space.
You could get a 7970 GHZ if you wanted although I wouldn't do so unless you could get a return on your current cards which I'm sure you could.
Related resources
February 13, 2013 10:50:12 PM

plznote said:
New case/motherboard might be a better idea if you don't want to drop even more cash on the cards.


Currently using i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz with Gigabyte z68x-ud7-b3, i would have to pay quite a lot more to get something equal in power. I'm pretty sure i have one of the biggest board for the sandy bridge CPUs.

bigshootr8 said:
Honestly, I would perhaps wait for the next series of cards to come out. Either later this year or early next. At this point in time I feel like the value you would get with the cards you have over the 7970 oc or ghz would be a side grade. I'm a audiophile myself which puts me in the same place you are in when I have 2 cards in CF/SLi.

A couple of things that cross my mind you can get a passive water cooler for both cards if you have two 120 fan spots for it.
You could get a motherboard with more slot space.
You could get a 7970 GHZ if you wanted although I wouldn't do so unless you could get a return on your current cards which I'm sure you could.


I have space for 120 fans but using watercooling would probably cost me just as much.

My current 6950s are 1 1/2 years old so i can't take them back :( 

Thanks for the suggestions.
February 13, 2013 10:53:31 PM

Can't seem to edit my post :( 

Currently using H100 for CPU cooling and to use liquid cooling for the GPUs would cost me just as much if i get a 7970 and sell my 6950s
February 13, 2013 11:39:58 PM

What I meant Danny was for you to sell both cards on ebay and then you would have room :)  And then you could pay the difference for the 7970 of your choice.
February 13, 2013 11:48:47 PM

bigshootr8 said:
What I meant Danny was for you to sell both cards on ebay and then you would have room :)  And then you could pay the difference for the 7970 of your choice.


Ah i got confused, i thought you meant take them back for a refund :p  I wish

February 14, 2013 12:14:06 AM

hahah no otherwise I'd say get two 7970's and party :p 
February 14, 2013 6:34:06 AM

Just gonna get the single 7970oc'd and sell my 6950s. Can always get another 7970 in the future.
February 14, 2013 6:39:33 AM

That you can sir
!