Is there a way to make my download speed constant?

Wiggy59

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hi there, after many many problems with my PC's wireless card since i bought it, i have finally got it to connect to the internet, and to allow myself to browse the web, but yet another problem has occurred, my download rate goes from fast (opening 4 links in quick succession) and all content is on the screen, to 20 seconds later, not being able to open 1 link without seeing a white screen, and it very slowly downloading all the stuff on the page, and this happens at random. so basically my internet goes from quick to slow to quick to slow, every couple of seconds anyone know of a fix? or what could be causing the issue?

Wiggy59

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Well ive never actually connected to the Home Hub 2.0 via cable, but instead i use my laptops wireless and then forward that through an Ethernet cable, which is stable, and my brothers laptop and my laptop are both connected, but my laptop always has a stable connection to the internet, even at peak points.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Do you have the same problem anywhere in the house? I mean if you are closer to the router will your connection be more stable, or is it the same no matter where you are?
I'm asking this because there may be something causing interference between your room, for instance, and the router.
Otherwise have you tried checking for newer drivers for your wireless adapter?

Wiggy59

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
its the same where ever i move it to in the house, even if i place it next to the hub, it still goes slow, then fast then slow in a matter of seconds, and i tried to update them a second ago, via Device manager and it comes up with "The best driver software for your device is already installed, windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" Realtek RTL8192CE wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC, so yep its up to date. And cheers for the help so far!

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Have you found any new drivers at the manufacturer's support site?
I had a similar problem with my laptop's wireless adapter but a I had continuous disconnections. A driver update fixed it for me. It seems like there is some kind of incompatibility between your wireless adapter and the router.
What model laptop and router do you have?

Wiggy59

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
oh its not my laptop, my laptop has a stable connection and its sitting next to my computer, but my PC's wireless card is the one that seems to problems with my router (which is the BT Homehub 2.0) but yea, my computer is currently running off my laptops internet as its own wireless card is the one having issues. and i checked Realteks website for the newest update but cant seem to find one :L

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
You need to be more clear about exactly how you are set up! The information you are giving me here is the only "tool" I have to help you out. After all these posts I was just made clear to me that you are actually connected through your laptop.
The fact that you are connecting through your laptop is your problem. The laptop has to serve your pc and also handle its own connections simultaneously. A laptop NIC is not made to do that kind of work. It can do it, but as you can see first hand, not very well.
If you want to fix your PCs Wireless card you will have to shutdown and open your case and remove the card. On the card you will find the Brand and model number of the card. Realtek RTL8192CE is the brand of chip on your network card not the brand of your card itself. Windows has recognized the chip and installed a driver for the chip only, which may not be enough to control your card properly. Find that information and post it so I can actually help you out!