Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can you record one show and playback another ?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
September 15, 2005 10:29:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?
Can I play back a previously recorded show at the same time it is recording
a new show?
Right now I have the Replay hooked to input 1 and the regular cable hooked
to input 2 on my TV. If I want to watch something else I just change the
input, but I would like to be able to watch something I recorded while it is
recording something new.

Thanks

Bill
simard@nycap.rr.com




http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

More about : record show playback

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:54:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:29:35 -0400, "Bill" <simard@nycap.rr.com>
wrote:

>I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
>record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?

Yes, just not using THAT REPLAY. The Replay can encode only one input
at a time.

Note that since using the Replay to buffer live TV is actually BOTH
record and play, you would be asking the Replay to do TWO recordings
at once. It won't do that.

>Can I play back a previously recorded show at the same time it is recording
>a new show?

Yes. Replay can record and play simultaneously (that's actually
happening when you use the Replay to watch live TV). They can be
separate shows if you want.

Note that if the Replay COULDN'T do that, automatic recording would
become unusable. You'd have to be VERY CAREFUL about when you play
something, to avoid conflicts with something recording.

>Right now I have the Replay hooked to input 1 and the regular cable hooked
>to input 2 on my TV. If I want to watch something else I just change the
>input, but I would like to be able to watch something I recorded while it is
>recording something new.
>

There is no problem with that. That is what Replay does (in dependant
simultaneous record and playback).

>Thanks
>
>Bill
>simard@nycap.rr.com
>
>
>
>
>http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
--
101 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:23:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Bill wrote:
> I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
> record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?

No, not through the Replay. You can of course use your TV's regular
tuner to watch something else.

> Can I play back a previously recorded show at the same time it is recording
> a new show?

Yes, but it can make your hard drive chatter as it struggles between
seeking to read your old show and seeking to write your new show. It
isn't too noticeable with low quality recordings, but very noticeable
with high quality recordings. The Replay may also respond slowly to
remote control commands.

> Right now I have the Replay hooked to input 1 and the regular cable hooked
> to input 2 on my TV. If I want to watch something else I just change the
> input, but I would like to be able to watch something I recorded while it is
> recording something new.

The latter should "just work" with the caveats noted above. Just press
Replay Guide and choose something to watch. It should work regardless
of whether anything is recording at the moment.


--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:06:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:54:44 -0500, Mark Lloyd
<mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:29:35 -0400, "Bill" <simard@nycap.rr.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
>>record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?
>
>Yes, just not using THAT REPLAY. The Replay can encode only one input
>at a time.
>
>Note that since using the Replay to buffer live TV is actually BOTH
>record and play, you would be asking the Replay to do TWO recordings
>at once. It won't do that.
>
>>Can I play back a previously recorded show at the same time it is recording
>>a new show?
>
>Yes. Replay can record and play simultaneously (that's actually
>happening when you use the Replay to watch live TV). They can be
>separate shows if you want.
>
>Note that if the Replay COULDN'T do that, automatic recording would
>become unusable. You'd have to be VERY CAREFUL about when you play
>something, to avoid conflicts with something recording.
>
>>Right now I have the Replay hooked to input 1 and the regular cable hooked
>>to input 2 on my TV. If I want to watch something else I just change the
>>input, but I would like to be able to watch something I recorded while it is
>>recording something new.
>>
>
>There is no problem with that. That is what Replay does (in dependant
>simultaneous record and playback).
>

Somehow, my spelling checked stuck an extra space in "independant",
making it more confusing.

>>Thanks
>>
>>Bill
>>simard@nycap.rr.com
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
--
101 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:52:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:29:35 -0400, "Bill" <simard@nycap.rr.com>
> wrote:
>>I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
>>record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?

> Yes, just not using THAT REPLAY. The Replay can encode only one input
> at a time.

Just to clarify, you're not saying that some other model of ReplayTV
lets you record one show while watching live TV on another channel at
the same time, right?

By "THAT REPLAY" are you thinking about separate, networked units that
can schedule recordings on each other?


--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:52:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:52:43 GMT, Victor Kan
<victor@usenet.NO_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:29:35 -0400, "Bill" <simard@nycap.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>>I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
>>>record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?
>
>> Yes, just not using THAT REPLAY. The Replay can encode only one input
>> at a time.
>
>Just to clarify, you're not saying that some other model of ReplayTV
>lets you record one show while watching live TV on another channel at
>the same time, right?
>

No. All models are the same that way . Among other things, you could
do it if you had 2 Replays, of just use the TV to watch TV.

>By "THAT REPLAY" are you thinking about separate, networked units that
>can schedule recordings on each other?

When one unit is used to schedule a recording on another unit, that
unit is now finished with it (leaving the second Replay to do the
recording). You could then use your first Replay to watch live TV
(assuming it wasn't being used to record something else).
--
101 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 5:05:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:42:44 -0500, Mark Lloyd
<mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

>No. All models are the same that way . Among other things, you could
>do it if you had 2 Replays, of just use the TV to watch TV.


I never used the RF out but I assumed there was some bypass lilke the
TV/VCR switch on a VCR. I agree it would take some extra hardware to
output to the A/V jacks or S-Video.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 6:56:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:05:02 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:42:44 -0500, Mark Lloyd
><mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>>No. All models are the same that way . Among other things, you could
>>do it if you had 2 Replays, of just use the TV to watch TV.
>
>
>I never used the RF out but I assumed there was some bypass lilke the
>TV/VCR switch on a VCR. I agree it would take some extra hardware to
>output to the A/V jacks or S-Video.

I never use RF out either, considering that if provides the lowest
quality signal. Anyway, if you're using the TV to watch TV, there's no
need to have the signal going through the Replay.
--
100 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 2:31:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I use a number of different outupts depending on what I am watching on
(TV near the main computer for example has AV in jacks, so I use aV out,
TV in Living room does not so it gets RF, VCR in living room does so it
gets AV, Likewise the tv and vcr in the bedroom)

There are two lights on the front of the replay, A Red RECORD indicator
and a blue POWER indicator... The blue light need not be on for the unit
to perform a scheduled recording... If you want to record one show and
watch another live, Program the recording in advance, leave the Replay
"Off" and it will record... Like a VCR in timer controled record mode it
will pass the RF on to the tv so it can watch something else.

NOTE: if you are watching on cable you may need seperate cable boxes for
the replay and the TV, in this case AV to the tv is the way to go

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 2:31:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:31:14 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>
>I use a number of different outupts depending on what I am watching on
>(TV near the main computer for example has AV in jacks, so I use aV out,
>TV in Living room does not so it gets RF, VCR in living room does so it
>gets AV, Likewise the tv and vcr in the bedroom)
>

I will use the RF output, but only if there's no choice.

>There are two lights on the front of the replay, A Red RECORD indicator
>and a blue POWER indicator...

The older Replays had a third light called "new content", although
it's function was inconsistent with the name. If several new shows had
been recorded, the light would go out when you watch the first of
them.

> The blue light need not be on for the unit
> to perform a scheduled recording...

Because it's only partially a POWER indicator. "off" is not really
OFF.

> If you want to record one show and
>watch another live, Program the recording in advance, leave the Replay
>"Off" and it will record...

"off" or "on" is irrelevant, unlike a VCR which has to be "off".

> Like a VCR in timer controled record mode it
>will pass the RF on to the tv so it can watch something else.
>

Which also means you're probably using the low-quality RF output for
Replay playback.

>NOTE: if you are watching on cable you may need seperate cable boxes for
>the replay and the TV, in this case AV to the tv is the way to go

Yes. Also, make sure the first cable box (the one connected to the
Replay) will not respond to IR from it's own control. That can easily
mess up recordings.

--
100 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 2:03:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
I said
>>The blue light need not be on for the unit
>> to perform a scheduled recording...
>
You Replied


> Because it's only partially a POWER indicator. "off" is not really
> OFF.

Think of the blue light as "RF-Output On" and you are close

yes, it's true a Replay, so long as it's getting power, "sleeps with one
eye open"
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 2:03:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:03:19 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>
>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>I said
>>>The blue light need not be on for the unit
>>> to perform a scheduled recording...
>>
>You Replied
>
>
>> Because it's only partially a POWER indicator. "off" is not really
>> OFF.
>

Yes, closer. Functions of the power switch:

1. Controls the blue LED.

2. Controls power to the outputs (and nothing else). This includes all
outputs, including RF and AV.

3. Enables buffering of live TV .

4. Affects remote-control state machine (when "off" will accept
nothing put "power").

5. Enables hard disk spindown

#3 and #5 are unique to the Replay. A VCR would have #1, #2, and #4.
For a TV, it would be the same plus the display device itself (such as
CRT or LCD).

>Think of the blue light as "RF-Output On" and you are close
>
>yes, it's true a Replay, so long as it's getting power, "sleeps with one
>eye open"
--
99 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
!