I can't figure out this monitor shutting off issue.

holmwood777

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Hello forumers,

I have been having a rather strange issue. It's only been happening recently when I'm playing games.

Symptoms:
1) Monitor shuts down, but tower is running. I can even continue skype calls with the monitor off.
2) Eventviewer did not show any application problems.
3) Memtest revealed no bad Ram.
4) The temperature is around 40-50C even with the game running.
5) Video driver reinstall did nothing.
6) Cleaned out graphic card squeaky clean as well as the other computer parts.

Recommendations?
I was thinking about replacing the graphic card, but not sure its a bad graphic card.
Can't take it to an expert because I need the comp with me at all times for work.

Graphic card: Radeon HD 6700 series

And i5.

holmwood777

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

'Ello Sir. Thank you for being the first replier.

It shuts down maybe sometimes within the first hour of gaming, and some times much longer. I would see this problem every day however.

It is a monitor, not a television. The monitor appears to be in tip top shape and it is only half a year old.

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
This is very weird. Have you checked your power settings (though it seems impossible) but nevertheless give it a go. Also has the problem began suddenly or did you make any hardware or software changes that caused the problem?

holmwood777

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

It appeared to occur ever since I started playing more graphic demanding games. I haven't tweaked any settings, and my power settings are all default. (even went to bios to make sure. Also updated by bios!) My computer is far better than a friend of mine who's computer has a Radeon HD 5700 series running at full settings, but for some reason mine is having all the issues.

I'm trying to run some stress testing tools atm to see if the same symptoms arise. But does it seem like a graphic card issue?

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Well the best thing to test your gpu is to download gpu-z. You can check your gpu if its running properly and also I think the program generates some charts to check if your gpu is running stable.

Hope this helps!

holmwood777

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

As you suggested, I used gpu-z.
Everything seems to be okay; everything is between 30-50 C, the memory usage is nearly nonexistant.

I'm running furmark atm to try to get similar symptoms of monitor shutting off.

Would a voltage problem also be a cause for the monitor turning off? I have it on high performance and my poor old home may not be able to take it. But I would assume that a power related issue would turn off both the tower and the monitor and not just the monitor. Correct me if I'm mistake; I"m curious! :love:

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Well I don't know if a power error would affect the whole rig or some parts of it. But when it comes to high technological devices like pc hardware, you should expect more or less everything! From what it seems it must be a hardware failure since you have checked all your software. Can you connect a different screen on your pc for a few days?

P.S. I don't believe the high performance mode can just cause your screen to turn off, you should expect more serious issues.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
It's probably just a coincidence that the monitor is bugging out since the switch to demanding graphics. I've had monitors go out like that at work. It turned out to be the power supplies in them. Is you monitor under warranty yet?

holmwood777

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

It seems to only occur while running that game however. :sweat: I left my computer on pretty much the whole day, and the monitor remained perfectly fine. When I go into the game however, symptoms arise within an hour.

I suspect its either a hardware issue as Gate9er stated (expensive!) or its actually the program's incompatibility with Radeon GPUs! Ill try plugging it into another computer monitor to see if its a monitor issue (brilliant suggestion btw SinisterSalad).