7200 rpm USB External drives?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone know if there are any 7200 rpm USB (2.0 + 1.1) connected external drives? I see a lot of Firewire, but as that isn't as common on your average computer I am looking more towards USB. I still want some decent performance so logically I'm lookin toward a faster 7200 rpm drive but the only USB drives I can find are Maxtor's at 5400 rpm.

BTW, I'm planning on using the drive to hold my mp3 and music video collection as well as some hard drive back-ups. Anyone see any drawbacks that could overshadow the advantages of a portable external drive? Thanks.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, as long as you dont drop it while it is running, then it should be fine.

i dont know of any external usb 7200rpm drives.
i dont know if usb 1.0 can deal with that.
but since usb 2.0 is becomming more and more used, it will probably be seen very soon..unless i am just out of it, and there already is one.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, got lucky and found a company called BusLinkk. They have 7200 rpm USB 2.0 + 1.1 drives at 120GB :) I also found a site packaging it with a 5-port USB 2.0 card for $339 which seems to be a VERY sweet price on a fast external drive like this. Only problem is that I can't find any reviews of it. Anyone have any experience with Buslink at all?

And yes, I plan to defend the drive with a large stick while it is running and generally handle it like baby to prevent any shocks. I just like the portability I could have with a music collection of 10's of thousands of song... *drool* Besides, my 40 gig drive is full now :(

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Maxtor makes 5400rpm USB 2.0 + 1.1 drives. Is there any reason why you would need a 7200rpm anyways for what you listed? I have the 40GB model from Maxtor and think it's very good at what it does! They also have a 120GB model.

They look cool to! <A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/products/externalstorage/3000LE/images/3000LE_image.gif" target="_new">Maxtor<font color=red></A> :smile:

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>