Eye-Finity set up for 3 DVI monitors and an HDTV

00pontiac

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hi, I've been trying to figure out what I'll need to hook up all of my displays.

I have two Saphire Radeon HD6950's w/ 2)DVI out's and 1)HDMI out and 1)Display Port 1.2 out.

I have three DVI monitors and my HDTV of course is HDMI.

I'll have the 3 DVI monitors on my desk and across the room is the HDTV, it's for Home Theater and Entertainment, so I will never need or want the fullscreen display to span across to that one... 'span' probly isn't the right terminology so I hope you can understand my low tech explanation :)

I've read the guide by hugostiglitz, and I'm thinking I can do:

Card DVI ---------------------------------------------------> DVI Monitor
Card DVI ---------------------------------------------------> DVI Monitor
Card DSP --> DSP to DVI Active Adapter ------>DVI Monitor

And my HDTV

Card HDMI----------------------------------->HDMI TV

So my question is Will this work? Am I good to go for buying my adapters and cords with confidence?

If anyone could help me out here I'd be really grateful! :)

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
You can definitely hook up all your screens, but am not sure about EyeFinity. I believe the 6*** series cards are limited to 3 screens per card (think they're like the 5 series where one of the DVI ports shares internal parts with the HDMI port so really its just one port with 2 heads on it, cant use both at the same time). If this is the case you would have to run the 4th screen (HDMI TV) off your second card which would mean disabling Crossfire anytime you wanted that screen active. Outside of that, the way you plan on hooking everything up is correct. Just be sure to get a descent Displayport Adapter.

Kari

Splendid
You would need a DP 1.2 MST Hub to be able to connect all screens to the same card. Too bad those hubs have been vaporware for couple of years now, but hopefully they migh turn up this year:
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/10/15/vesa-hopes-displayport-1-2-mst-hubs-to-be-available-by-2013/

00pontiac

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
My 6950's support up to 6 displays according to AMD's Eyefinity FAQ

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx

And as far as the connections go I can hook up all four, the question is if they won't work together, will they work as far as the 3 DVI monitors in a group and then at least being switchable to the 4th (HDTV) in a second group by itself?

Really don't care if all 4 are on at the same time, but making the connections and not having to plug and replug cables to switch from the one group of 3 DVIs to the 1 HDTV is my biggest concern.

Kari

Splendid

yep, via the DisplayPort MultiStreamTransport feature..
the thing is the card only has 5(?) timing signals, DVI and HDMI both use 2 per link, VGA uses one and displayport either none or one, forgot how this exactly went... :sweat: anyways the end result is that the card can only use 2 dvi/hdmi connections at the same time and a 3rd one that uses the DP. If those silly hubs existed already you could just plug that into the DP on the card and then connect the DVI screens to the hub.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

The information given is general for a 6950. Yes there are 6950's that will handle 6 displays, but you either need one specifically built for it, in which case there will be 6 displayport connections. To answer your question, yes without a doubt you can get all 4 monitors working, but most likely not with Crossfire active since you will most likely be limited to 3 monitors on one card, and your 4th screen on the other card.