MSI 680 LIGHTNING 3D question

Hi all, I've been doing my research and im convinced on buying the MSI gtx 680 lightning card and want to get into 3D gaming. I can't find any Gaming in 3D benchmarks, anyone know how much fps you'd get with ultra in bf3 or most games in 3D? (hitman ab, farcry 3 etc) How much of an fps drop is it normally? Would I need two cards? I would be running just one monitor @ 1080p.

Thanks :)

Current set up:

i7 3820 @ 4.2
16 dd3 Kingston hyperX @ 1600 quad chan
Asus rampage IV gene
120 Intel 520 SSD
500 HDD
AMD 6870 reference card (such an upgrade xD)
9 answers Last reply
More about lightning question
  1. 1 GTX680 is enough. What do you mean you can't find any benchmarks? Google GTX680 review or benchmarks and you'll see tons of it. Here's one

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161.html

    Follow up: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli-overclock-surround,3162.html

    If you'd like to save some money, get the GTX670. It performs around 90% of the GTX680 but around $70+ cheaper.
  2. 1 1080P monitor Maxed out should do it and you'll get about 80+fps in BF3 single player and 70+ in multiplayer at stock speeds (my results on an EVGA Superclocked 680)

    Overclocked (if about the same speed than me) will be around 80 to 100 all the time

    ** Make sure to turn V-Sync off as it cause a random micro second lag (don't know why)

    PS: sorry i don't have any of the other games so i can only speak about BF3
  3. EzioAs said:
    1 GTX680 is enough. What do you mean you can't find any benchmarks? Google GTX680 review or benchmarks and you'll see tons of it. Here's one

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161.html

    Follow up: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli-overclock-surround,3162.html

    If you'd like to save some money, get the GTX670. It performs around 90% of the GTX680 but around $70+ cheaper.



    Thanks for the quick reply but I mentioned gaming while in 3D. Those are just normal benchmarks (no 3D monitor/nvidia glass etc)
  4. spawnkiller said:
    1 1080P monitor Maxed out should do it and you'll get about 80+fps in BF3 single player and 70+ in multiplayer at stock speeds (my results on an EVGA Superclocked 680)

    Overclocked (if about the same speed than me) will be around 80 to 100 all the time

    ** Make sure to turn V-Sync off as it cause a random micro second lag (don't know why)

    PS: sorry i don't have any of the other games so i can only speak about BF3



    while in 3D? (120hz monitor / glasses)
  5. It's actually quite simple, running in 3D will usually impact almost half the performance of non-3D (this is usually the case for last gen cards). There are a couple games that the performance impact will be less (ie. Crysis 2).

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1452/pg15/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-kepler-graphics-card-review-3d-vision.html

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV73shxh6_Q
  6. get this cheaper and is 4gigs. you def want that 4gigs when doing 3d.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130824

    beastlys card
  7. iceclock said:
    get this cheaper and is 4gigs. you def want that 4gigs when doing 3d.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130824

    beastlys card


    lol thanks for the reply but its not a MSI Lightning edi, which is said to be the best card for oc. and 4ghz would just be needed if i planned on running 3 monitors. Gotta have the best to last me :)
  8. iceclock said:
    get this cheaper and is 4gigs. you def want that 4gigs when doing 3d.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130824

    beastlys card


    I disagree. 3D vision does not require more memory than running in non-3D. It needs more GPU power. More than 2GB VRAM only benefits multi-monitor configuration like gamin in 3D surround.
  9. Yeah, you'll don't need more memory, but you'll need a 120hz monitor and the NVIDIA 3d kit (i don't have so i can't compare performance, sorry)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards 3D Graphics Product MSI-Microstar