c_robinson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I had 3 pc's on a network(wired router) up till last thursday, when my modem and router were killed by a storm. SO I went and got a new modem and router( wired) and tried to get everything up and running again but have been met with nothing but epic fail. Now only the first computer powered on receives internet connection and the other 2 computers are in an unidentified network w/no internet access. I've been through all the troubleshooting programs on all the computers and none of them can repair the connection or network. I keep receiving" Local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration" and " default gateway is not available". I've called my ISP a few times and they say they cant help because my modem is working fine and one comp has a connection. the router doesnt really have any tech support as its supposed to be a plug and go router. Once again any help is appreciated and thank you for taking time to read this.

It sounds like the computer that is working has a static IP address and the other two are trying to use DHCP but can't find the DHCP server. Do you have DHCP turned on and configured in the router? Are you showing link lights on all the pc's and router ports that are connected?

c_robinson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
It is a motorola surfboard cable modem with a monster router. each comp does work when hooked directly into the modem. Its hooked up modem to router, router to comps.

I dont know what DHCP is or how to turn it on/off. As far as the lights the other 2 comps are not showing up on the router.

All the ethernet ports (where the cables plug into the computer & router) should have a link light to show there is a connection made. They should also have an activity light which blinks when data is crossing the cable. On some router the lights shows both link (solid) and blinks when there is activity. If you aren't seeing link lights on the router, then either the ports are dead or turned off or the cable is bad.

Does this monster router have a model name/number? I've never heard of them unless it's the same company that makes monster cables. Anyhow, you need to read the router manual and turn on and configure DHCP for those computer to work, otherwise you need to find the lan address of the router and configure static IP addresses on the computers. DHCP is usually more convenient for home networks.