Graphics card is getting loud when playing rift

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
Hi everyone i'm a novice at this and am not very technical but anyway.

this is the pc i have http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/asus-essentio-cm6870-us/4505-3118_7-35312870.html

I like to play the online game rift and when i play the video card get really loud i guess its the fan going super loud.

I used the ati manager that came with my PC and the temps on my cpu is 40c-50c range

I may just need a better video card i don't know, if that the case if someone could point me in the right direction of what kind i need in my system that would be great.

Mostly for playing my game and i like to watch streaming , nothing too exspensive though i'll have to save for it and all that.

anyway once i stop the game it quiets down.

The video card that came with my asus essentio is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 545

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
What are your framerates? If you're comfortably above 60 fps on average, an option may be to enable adaptive v-sync. This will lock your max fps, thereby lessening the workload, thereby lessening heat and ultimately fan noise.

You probably have a noisy card. Many gpus do get that way when fully loaded for long periods of time. Your card is pretty low end, but if it runs your game okay, then you may just need to buy an aftermarket gpu cooler. I use Arctic Cooling heatsinks when I change from the stock one as they are very quiet and keeps temps in check too.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
you could also get something like evga precision and make your own fan profile so the fan will only spin up to the speed you set for the temperature desired.....pretty easy actually

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012

ok thanks are they hard to install?

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

It's pretty easy to make a fan profile, but a little harder to make a good one. :D

I agree that a custom fan profile may be a solution. It's a typical characteristic of reference NVIDIA cards; they're often not the quietest things.

There is an excellent write up regarding overclocking the 600 series of cards. While the overclocking itself part may not be of use to you, there is a good writeup on making an effective fan profile. Take a gander: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

V-sync is good if you're experiencing tearing. I just don't see that happening with a 545. Rift is pretty demanding on the CPU and the graphics. I would say OP'd be lucky to be near 60 fps with a 545 ever if the graphics settings are pegged (or even not).

I think it might do you well to follow teasers advice about getting EVGA's Precision X software to control your fan speed. After you install it, build a fan-speed curve steeper than the default. This seems to keep things quieter on my system because the fans run at a higher-than-default speed at lower temps keeping the GPUs from reaching higher temps in the first place. It actually makes a 10C difference in the max temps of my fully-loaded GPUs overall.

You'll have to play with the slope of the fan-speed graph, but with a little bit of time, this might work out for you.

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
ok well here's a pic of how i have it if anyone has a suggestion on something i should change please let me know. It shows my GPU at 63c and it does seem a little quieter

gpu.jpg

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012

still loud though how did you have yours configured maybe i could try yours and just adjust it if i need to

I would find the lowest fan speed you cant hear. Do it while the GPU is idle and bump the fan speed like you have from 0c to 30c up until it becomes noticeable then lower a little. Say 35% fan speed you cant hear than have it run at that speed until 50c or so. Then slowly have it ramp from that speed to 50% at 70c. Then have it going from 70c to 100c where it goes from 50% to 100% fan speed.

ikaz

Distinguished
Just an FYI if you can't find a speed that your fan can run at while not over heating your Graphic's card don't bother trying to upgrade your GPU fan. I would recommend just replacing that card with a slient type card (and maybe better performing) if you end up going down that route let us know what your budget would be.

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
i do want to upgrade my card but will have to save a bit i couldn't go over $200 and have no idea what the right type would be if you guys have any suggestions that would be awesome.

it has to be able to handle rift and swtor and i like to watch online site like netflix and stuff like that.

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012

almost have saved enough to upgrade i'm thinking of going with the second one you listed GX 650 TI was wondering though if there was a version that had higher memory that one says 1gb and i'd like at least 2gb on it.

I've looked myself but wasn't sure which was the right one a lot of them say 650 ti

P.s. I have already upgraded my psu to 750w so I should be good there.

Mutant_Guy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013

1) Do you feel lag when playing game?
2) Is that sound make you uncomfortable other than you are worrying it might fail.

because 50C is normal

TRENDING THREADS