XFX Radeon HD7850 Black screen during boot

Nousey

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Hey everyone,

Revently I bought an XFX HD7850 and I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, it's been working flawlessly. But today while gaming my whole build shut down (Nothing was overheating as I had CPUID HWmonitor visible as I was still monitoring temps) it wasn't going above 52 Deg C

When I turned my PC back on the monitor turned on for about 3 seconds then went black, stating no input. I tried putting my old 7770 in and it worked fine and everything loaded without any issues.

but I can't seem to find what the caused the problem with my 7850. The only thing that has changed today was that I installed a fan controller and an update to MSI Afterburner.

I've tried removing all drivers, uninstalling afterburner & reset all my bios settings but I'm still getting the same problem.

Any idea what may be have caused this problem and if its something I am able to fix?

My build:

Motherboard: Gigabyt 990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.1 GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
PSU: Corsair TX850
RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 mhz
GPU: XFX HD7850 (the one that became faulty)

If there is any information I have missed out, let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Cheers

Nousey

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
All that happens when I turn my computer on is that it displays the boot menu (enter BIOS/Q-flash ETC) for roughly 3 seconds then the screen goes blank. I'll work on getting a video up displaying my problem.

Check the cable between the card and monitor. Use a different port on the card (if available, e.g. the other DVI). Recheck your BIOS and make sure it is set to initialize your PCI Express graphics adapter first (may be called PEG).

Nousey

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I've used the same cable with a different graphics card and it works.

I tried using a DVI-D to HDMI cable and the same issue remained

This I have not tried and I will try right now.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions mate

Ok, you've ruled out a loose cable then, which means if the monitor is going into power-save mode, the card isn't sending a signal.
btw I apologize if I've overlooked something indicated in your video; I'm at work where YouTube is blocked.

Nousey

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

Thanks, I'll have a read through that and see if anything helps.

I tried what you suggested Onus and that problem still remained, I'll look search around to see if there is any information about the card entering power save during boot.

Cheers

Nousey

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

Exactly this. The blinking blue LED is normal on this monitor when the PC is turned off.

Nousey

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Looked around and can't find anything about the card going into power save during boot. I guess all I can do is wait for a response from XFX and probably end up sending it back to Scan.co.uk.

Thanks a lot for the response's. I greatly appreciate the effort.

Cheers.

CoffeeBeain

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I received the XFX Core Radeon 7850 2gb (FX-785A-CNL4 v2.0) from my wife for christmas. Placed it in my new build (same mobo as you, AMD 8150 OC w/ ET6 to 4.2, Same CPU cooler as you in my Antec 900, Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD, 16 GB Patriot Gamer 1600 RAM, Seasonic x750 PSU, Win 7 Professional).

I was quite pleased initially. Then I noticed that whenever my system would come up from sleep mode many of my screens would look like I wes viewing them through a kaleidescope in pastel hues (I'll try to attach a photo link later). Then on Jan 13 (just over 2 weeks of use) I was closing my gaming client and my system went dead: black screen, system power went off and wouldn't turn back on. My system would work fine w/ my old GPU, but wouldn't even boot w/ the XFX card. I RMA'd it and received notice from XFX customer service on Jan 22 that it was a "faulty" card. I received their replacement on Jan 25.

With the replacement card I noticed right away that I would get the kaleidoscope effect again when my system would wake from sleep mode. Then today (Feb 22) my card crashed again. I did not download software to monitor GPU temps, but my CPU temps run at 34 under heavy gaming, and topped out at 41 w/ Prime95. With the airflow through my case and ambient temps the last few months I'm quite confident that my GPU temps aren't climbing too high. I'm still waiting on XFX's response to this ticket but am scratching my head wondering if there is something with my system causing the problem. However, my old Nvidia 440 GT runs nicely on this system and wakes up without the added flair, and thats after several years of abuse on my old system . . .

In another thread someone mentioned that I may need better OVP from my PSU, but I cannot seem to find a way to quantify this from one PSU to another and feel like the reviews are favorable for my PSU. Any illucidation on this would be greatly appreciated.

The biggest lesson learned thus far is not to cash in rebates on hardware. I could have RMA'd this with Newegg for quicker support. And that $20 rebate was spent on S&H the first go round.

targetlocked

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Same *** i guess for me.
-__-
Rosewill Challenger|i5-3570k|Gigabyte UD5H-WB|Hyper 212 EVO|G.Skill X Ripjawx (8gbx2)|XFX Radeon 7850 1GB (FX-785A-ZNFC)|SSD: OCZ aglity 4 64FB| HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB |Corsair TX650W -(CMPSU 650-TX)|Win 7 Home Premium|
I had starcraft II while i was away, came back about to exit SC II. Computer just shut off, then booted up.... Then, it loaded bios screen normal,... then windows 7 load icon, after that black screen basically and monitor went to sleep mode.
I tried updating newer driver didn't work. 3 months on the card =[, WHYYYYYYY... Tried different PCI-E, same issue tried hdmi or dvi same thing. T_____T

Dennis9661

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Hey man yeah I'm having the same problem as you in the same time as you haha my card only lasted a week seems like this issue is a pretty big problem with a lot of people that use xfx... Man your story is exactly what happened with mine :mad:

Latest posts