Slow Login

harbin91

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
For some reason unknown to me, logging into my user account on my PC takes around 20-30 seconds. I have the Guest account enabled, and log on to this is pretty much instant.

I read around the internet that this is usually caused by having a solid colour as a background, but there have at no point been a solid colour background, I have images set as desktop wallpaper. I have only a handful of programs set to startup such as itype.exe for my keyboard, MSE, Xboxstat for my gamepad and Catalyst Control Centre. The Guest account has more programs set to startup yet takes considerable amount of time shorter to get to the desktop. This also applies to any subsequent account I create.

There are no desktop icons of any sort, and the user account profile size comes up as 343MB (which as far as I'm aware, isn't large). Windows is installed to a 64GB SSD. To help save space and reduce wasted write cycles, I've moved temporary files and cache stuff off the drive onto a normal HDD. This has been done for the Guest account aswell. I fail to see, however, why that should slow down a login time. Rainmeter loads on startup, but whether its on startup or not makes no difference.

The accounts are local accounts as my PC is not part of a domain. I am stumped as to why my profile takes so long to login to the desktop (hence why I'm asking).

In the event of it being relevent my specs are in the spoiler below.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz (stock)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD6950
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX (running at 1333Mhz due to CPU limit)
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 (boot drive)
HDD: 1TB Samsung F3 (partitioned into three; programs, temporary files, games, page file)
HDD: 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda, holds documents, videos, music, etc)

The problem is frustrating me because login shouldn't take more than 5 seconds, yet it's taking around half a minute.

harbin91

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Probably.

Migrating the account would give me a clean slate to work from but I'd have to mess about with quite alot of programs and settings to reconfigure, including folder permissions. I was hoping to fix the problem on the account itself though.

I'll consider doing it if I can't fix this though.

UPDATE:

Managed to get login time down to 7 seconds. Strange thing that occasionally occurs is a lag when I've hit the desktop, where mouse movement is slow and a beep noise comes out of the speakers when the cursor moves.