Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Two Monitors Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2013 8:46:01 PM

Hello, I have a MSI HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card I thought it had 2 DVI Inputs but it doesn't. It only has a DVI and HDMI, Is it still possible to use two monitors? I'm currently using the DVI and I have another 19Inch widescreen VGA monitor which I want to use.

If it is possible how do I do it?

Thanks

More about : monitors question

February 15, 2013 2:25:32 PM

bump
a b C Monitor
February 15, 2013 2:30:58 PM

Yes you can, you will just need an adapter. Look in the box your video card came in, it might have came with one. Most likely you'll have to use an HDMI to DVI adapter (probably came with your card) and then a DVI to VGA adapter.
Related resources
February 15, 2013 2:38:02 PM

I actually find out earlier HDMI is digital and VGA is analog though DVI supports both I don't think it convert digital to analog?

Thanks, and yes it did come with one! I remember when I built it and was looking for the adapter I used before took me like 2 hours and one was in the box the whole time!

Thanks, be great if you can answer my question! :) 
a b C Monitor
February 15, 2013 2:53:03 PM

Yes HDMI is digital and VGA is analog, but the adapter or dongle should handle the conversion. With all of my graphics cards, they include a "dongle" that converts DVI to VGA. I've never seen one for HDMI to VGA though so this is why I suggested an HDMI to DVI adapter first. Now that I think about it, rather than using 2 adapters, you would be better off using a "dongle" to convert your one DVI port to VGA (usually this is whats included with video card), and for the second monitor (the one you have primary now on DVI) simply get an HDMI to DVI cable (HDMI on card to DVI on Monitor). Doing it this way would keep you from needing an HDMI to DVI adapter.
!