Dvi-d for gaming?

cloudhalo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
hi i have a radeon 7850 video card and i want to know if dvi-d port on my monitor is for gaming meaningand can i also connect my vid card to this port using the right adaptors and no have to worry about lagg or anythin that will affect my gaming? im currently using a vga port with a vga cable. dont worry about the adaptors ill get a vga female to male dvi-d. since i already have a vga male cable. i also want to know if a regular dvi cable can connect to this dual dvi-d port on my monitor????

DVI-D is a digital version of DVI its used for people who have 120hz monitors or people with high resolution displays. People will use either display port or DVI-D in these cases. SO in a way you can say its for gaming. You should be using your normal DVI-I connection with your monitor. Stop using the VGA cable. If your monitor has DVI use that if your monitor has display port use that. Ditch the VGA cable become the gamer you were meant to be (play on words from LOTR :p)

cloudhalo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
lol thanks, ill get the dvi-d cable cause the 7850 has the female and so does my moniter so bye bye vga. i just thought vga was for graphic cards and that was the only thing for the video card connection to moniter and good for gaming.

That is not entirely correct. You are referencing DVI-D as if they are all Dual-Link DVI-D. Most DVI-D connections are single link, and still only handle up to 1200p at 60hz in digital mode. DVI-A is for analog, and DVI-I supports both analog and digital and DVI-A and DVI-D both can connect to it. DVI-D only connections will not work with VGA adapters, as they lack the analog component. It is the Dual-Link DVI-D variety that is needed for 120hz and high resolution monitors.

cloudhalo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
hey what about a dvi-L to a dvi-d. can i use that cable and will it be good for gaming? i just found one in my house and i dont want to buy a dvi-d male to dvi-d male cable its like 40 bucks. my vid card has the dvi-L and my moniter has the dvi-D. so will it be ok for gaming and regular use? its all dual link cables not single of course.

I didn't always know either. I accidentally spent a lot more money on my first DVI-D cable than I should have because I was not aware of the single link and dual link differences.

I think you meant DVI-I on that last part, DVI-D is digital only.

cloudhalo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
na i dont i just need to know if getting a dvi-l cable to dvi-d cable will work for gaming because my 7850 has 2 ports and i can either put a dvi-d or dvi-l, but i found a dvi-l to dvi-d cable in my house an i want to know if its good for gaming an regular use if i connect it to my vid card an moniter????

It will work. Like I said, DVI-I works as either a DVI-A or DVI-D connection, depending on what the device it connects to uses. Since the other side is DVI-D, it'll work as a DVI-D connection. The reality is, that cable only works as DVI-D to DVI-D, since the other side forces it to work in digital.

cloudhalo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
so wait why do they have multiple ports for getting the same video. i mean i thought vga was the only port for gaming thats y i came here, now i hear that u can get dvi-l or dvi-d to do the same and now u got differnt ports doing the same thing and no consequence? whats the point. isnt the ports like dvi-d or dvi-l to be for tv's or other devices not moniters? sorry but i lve in 2000. this info would be helpful thanks guys

Just take the DVI-I to DVI-D cable and plug the DVI-I part into the monitor and the DVI-D side into the computer. For some reason, monitors typically put DVI-I to their monitors.

Anyways, the reason they have all these different types of connections is because the industry is constantly evolving and improving on old standards. Some monitors need special versions of connections to support high refresh rates or high resolutions.

Video cards, on the other hand, need to be able to support all the options that customers might need. If they are using a modern TV, the chances are, they need HDMI, so they give you HDMI ports. If the customer has a 120hz 3D Vision monitor, they need Dual-Link DVI-D connections. If the customer has an older monitor with a VGA or d-sub connection, they need analog, so they support DVI-I connections which can be used with an adapter to support analog VGA signals. AMD started using displayport to support multiple monitors and high refresh rates, so displayports are now on video cards.

As new hardware comes out with new needs, new connections are needed.

Right ^+1. It doesn't necessarily make a connection more for gaming or not its just where the connection applies in terms of providing a resolution or being able to supply the route for 120hz and above. But in the end though from what I understand DVI is pretty much the bread winner at this point in terms of universal standards I mean you can find from what I read DVI connections to do a variety of things. The only thing at this moment I see better then DVI is displayport.

You cannot do VGA to DVI-D, so at least it is possible to achieve. You can do VGA to DVI-I or DVI-A however, which is likely what you have and the answer is yes, it is better, but it is so small, you may not notice the difference. The difference is between digital and analog.

emilymartin986

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
DVI is digital and VGA is analog. If you are looking to go from DVI-D to VGA or VGA to DVI-D you will need an active converter. These cheap adapters on the market don't do digital to analog and analog to digital signal conversion. I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they offer a wide range of DVI-D to VGA and other converters.