Sign in with
Your question

Calling all computer techs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2013 1:01:38 AM

Hey guys, I just recently built a new computer.
Everything is plugged in and working fine.
When I turn on my computer, my monitor reads "no signal" and there isn't a display, and the computer does not beep.
The fans of the cpu, graphics card, and case all work, as well as the leds.
I tried to run my computer with no ram, but it still does not beep. I did also run through the list of common problems and it all did not seem to solve my issue. I also exchanged for a new mother board, processor, power, and graphics card and I still get the same problem. One interesting thing is that when I remove my 4 pin 12 V power connector everything still turns on but there still is no display.
My computer specs :

-Asus M5A97 mother board
-AMD 3+ FX 6200 processor
-650 watt Antec 25 power supply
-Asus GEFORCE GTX 650 graphics card
-1 TB hard drive
-2x 8G ram

Is there anyone familiar with this problem? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for you time! =)

More about : calling computer techs

February 15, 2013 1:25:27 AM

Well your computer should obviously be throwing some kind of error when powered up without ram. That means that wither you don't have a speaker on your mobo connected or the chip is faulty or the CMOS on the board is shot.

Your mobo does not have integrated graphics so you will have to leave the 650 in to test anything otherwise you will get errors for that. If you can try and test the CPU on a different board (yours if you have one or a friends). You can also try to use a cpu that you know is good to test your mobo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 1:28:29 AM

flashylights said:
When I turn on my computer, my monitor reads "no signal" and there isn't a display, and the computer does not beep.
I tried to run my computer with no ram, but it still does not beep. I did also run through the list of common problems and it all did not seem to solve my issue. I also exchanged for a new mother board, processor, power, and graphics card and I still get the same problem. One interesting thing is that when I remove my 4 pin 12 V power connector everything still turns on but there still is no display.
My computer specs :

-Asus M5A97 mother board
-1 TB hard drive
-2x 8G ram

Is there anyone familiar with this problem? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for you time! =)

The 4 pin is an auxillary power connection. Leave it connected but it is not critical for booting.

Is this a new build or old computer? Anything changed recently?

Sounds like a graphics card failure. Do you hae a different card you can test in the rig?
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2013 2:18:56 AM

I tried a working graphics card just now, same problem =(. If i install the speakers will it help my computer display? thank you for your guys reply.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 3:27:40 AM

No the speaker is to hear the motherboard post beeps. Normally that will give you a better idea which piece of hardware has failed.
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:45:36 AM

flashylights said:
My computer specs :

-Asus M5A97 mother board
-1 TB hard drive
-2x 8G ram

I've seen this type of problem before a lot of times, make sure that you are using those "motherboard stands" to raise your board from the case.
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:58:20 AM

Yeah the standoffs are on the case as well. It wasn't before though, and i tried to turn my computer on many times when it was touching the metal case. Maybe it damaged my mobo?
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 5:06:45 AM

per asus the bios to post with this mb and cpu combo is 0901. look at the ser# lable on the mb most time asus has the rev of the bios on the end or the last 4 digits are the bios rev. two other things can cause no post...the i\o shield of the mb could be shorting the mb or the finger too long and it inside one of the ports on the back of the mb. or the case header cables are on wrong and the mb is stuck in reset mode or the cmos jumper missing or on the wrong pins. (i would try and post the mb ontop of the shipping box.
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:46:47 PM

smorizio said:
per asus the bios to post with this mb and cpu combo is 0901. look at the ser# lable on the mb most time asus has the rev of the bios on the end or the last 4 digits are the bios rev. two other things can cause no post...the i\o shield of the mb could be shorting the mb or the finger too long and it inside one of the ports on the back of the mb. or the case header cables are on wrong and the mb is stuck in reset mode or the cmos jumper missing or on the wrong pins. (i would try and post the mb ontop of the shipping box.

The i/o shield of the mb is the metal thing that covers the usb and audio ports in the back right? I didn't put that in. Could that be whats causing my problem?
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:46:53 PM

smorizio said:

The i/o shield of the mb is the metal thing that covers the usb and audio ports in the back right? I didn't put that in. Could that be whats causing my problem?
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 1:56:23 AM

if you did not put it in then there no short problem..what the bios rev of your mb??
m
l
!