Upgrading from a 560 TI...>$400 budget

miketen587

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
So I'm about to upgrade from my 560 TI. I definitely want to stay under $400. I'm thinking either a 7970, or 670.

Admittedly, I'm a bit of an nvidia fan boy. I've never owned an AMD card and always looked at them as nvidia's "little brother" so to speak. I know that might sound a little ridiculous, but that's just been my mind set forever. I guess I've just stayed away from them mostly due to their supposed driver issues.

This most recent Never Settle Bundle, and the reviews of what seems like a lot of very satisfied customers, has me very interested in perhaps making the switch over to AMD for the next couple of years however.

Honestly, if it were not for the two games , I probably would have bought a 670 already. Crysis and Bioshock are must plays for me though, and getting them for "free" would be pretty awesome.

I've heard the arguments for both sides, from the beastly overclocking abilities of the 7970, to the stability and physix of the 670.

Which brings me to my question: Should I take the bait and make the move now while it's this enticing? Or should I play it safe and just go buy a 670, sell my 560 TI and use the money from that to buy the two games?

The rest of my specs are:

CPU: 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Coolermaster extreme power plus 700w
Sound: Asus Xonar DG audio

ndslite

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
7970 is the fastest single GPU on the market in terms of raw performance. It can also overvolt and OC. If physx is important to you then go for the gtx 670, but keep in mind i think you can keep your 560TI in your system and use that to render the physx using hybrid physx mod. so my choice would be the 7970 but honestly ive always liked the AMD side of GPU.

zakattack117

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hey there is nothing wrong with being a nvidia fan boy (I was until the damn drivers failed on me)

The 7970 is Really Really fast and really good of OCing. However, Nvidia specialize the Physx. I would recommend ndslite idea and doing a hybrid type mod, but i've heard that PCs that do that can be really unstable... so it not advised.

The question is this really, what would you prefer, pure power or physx?