file sharing with router

tibou

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Netgear RT314 router and 2 PCs connected to it. Currently I share internet access with it. I want to be able to transfer files from one computer to another and vice versa. What would be the best way to do so? One box is running Win98 the other is running Win2K/XP. I would also like the option of selecting which folders can be shared. Lastly, I want to be sure that both PCs are secure. In other words, not vulnerable to hackers (to the best that you can protect yourself.

IMHO:

Connect the Win98 one to your router. Make sure a firewall & AV software is up on it.

Set-up a 10/100 NIC in each. Crossover cable between.

This will hopefully prevent intrusion and it may keep the W2K viruses from getting to the W2K system. I'd keep the two disconnected when online if possible. This ensures max security for the W2K stuff, but I'm not sure if this is what your after.

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
As long as you use your router and don't open up any extra ports, it's pretty difficult to get hacked due to the fact that you're running NAT inside your LAN. So make sure the folders you share have good passwords on them and you should be good to go.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>