[SOLVED] Video Editor Needs Advice on best/fastest/cheapest MAC desktop to purcase around

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlarkins

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Hello,

Video Editor Needs Advice on best/fastest/cheapest/most reliable MAC desktop computer (refurbished if cheaper) to purchase around a $1,000 budget.

if you have a quick answer. I'm looking for something around the 3ghz range, 27inch wide screen antiglossy screen with fastest processor. I don't know the different between intel core due, i3, and i5. What is your advice, being the expert here? Thanks!!!
Edit by mod,don't post your email in the public forums.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The best you'll do price-wise with that budget is the low end iMac, and the best price you'll find on one is to search for a used one in your area, or a refurb straight from Apple:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac?mco=MTkyMjMyNjQ

I3 and i5 are newer than the core2 duo. The i3 is dual core, the i5 is quad core, the core 2 duo was available with 2 or 4 cores. For video processing a quad core machine is better since some video processing software will use the additional cores, but a Mac with quad cores will be very expensive.

ohlarkins

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
thanks i went with a refurbished imac I3 desktop... for around $1430 including... 27inch 1tb. 3.2ghz is this a good deal? maybe I should trade... and get a 4 core or quad? what do ya'll think

ohlarkins

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
ONE MORE QUESTION,

Is it possible to replace processors IE I3 with QUAD4 later on down the line if I get desktop IMAC like mentioned above???

I did have a intel core duo with my macbook pro before and it worked well (for me?) but the only applications I used was final cut and barely apple color. I plan on getting aftereffects w/ macs and dabbling with that program with my new I3 mac desktop soon. I mean how much slower or faster is this really? Are they any tests about how much time it takes to process IE 10 mins compared to 5 mins when using programs aforementioned?...

So yes, just wondering if it's possible to upgrade and take out one processor for another later on down the line w/ the computer I have now listed as:
Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
Built-in iSight camera.

Thanks guys! I think I might just keep what I got because the quad 4's are about 200-400 out of my budget!

--Patrick

I think its possible it it will void your warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.