Video Editor Needs Advice on best/fastest/cheapest MAC desktop to purcase around

Hello,

Video Editor Needs Advice on best/fastest/cheapest/most reliable MAC desktop computer (refurbished if cheaper) to purchase around a $1,000 budget.

if you have a quick answer. I'm looking for something around the 3ghz range, 27inch wide screen antiglossy screen with fastest processor. I don't know the different between intel core due, i3, and i5. What is your advice, being the expert here? Thanks!!!
Edit by mod,don't post your email in the public forums.
8 answers Last reply
More about video editor advice best fastest cheapest desktop purcase around
  1. The best you'll do price-wise with that budget is the low end iMac, and the best price you'll find on one is to search for a used one in your area, or a refurb straight from Apple:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac?mco=MTkyMjMyNjQ

I3 and i5 are newer than the core2 duo. The i3 is dual core, the i5 is quad core, the core 2 duo was available with 2 or 4 cores. For video processing a quad core machine is better since some video processing software will use the additional cores, but a Mac with quad cores will be very expensive.
  2. to cadder
    iMacs use both dual and quad core models of i5 CPUs.
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html
    to OP
    Withing your price range,you can't get the 27" model,you can buy the entry level 21.5" iMac,but its slightly out of your price range
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?aid=AIC-WWW-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-IMAC-TECH+SPECS&cp=BUYNOW-IMAC-TECH+SPECS
  3. At that price your only real option if you need the power is second hand.
  4. Or you can look for refurbished models.
  5. thanks i went with a refurbished imac I3 desktop... for around $1430 including... 27inch 1tb. 3.2ghz is this a good deal? maybe I should trade... and get a 4 core or quad? what do ya'll think
  6. Its a great choice;however,a quad core CPU will definitely help in Video/Image editing tasks
  7. ONE MORE QUESTION,

Is it possible to replace processors IE I3 with QUAD4 later on down the line if I get desktop IMAC like mentioned above???

I did have a intel core duo with my macbook pro before and it worked well (for me?) but the only applications I used was final cut and barely apple color. I plan on getting aftereffects w/ macs and dabbling with that program with my new I3 mac desktop soon. I mean how much slower or faster is this really? Are they any tests about how much time it takes to process IE 10 mins compared to 5 mins when using programs aforementioned?...

So yes, just wondering if it's possible to upgrade and take out one processor for another later on down the line w/ the computer I have now listed as:
    Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera.

Thanks guys! I think I might just keep what I got because the quad 4's are about 200-400 out of my budget!

--Patrick
  8. ohlarkins said:
    ONE MORE QUESTION,

Is it possible to replace processors IE I3 with QUAD4 later on down the line if I get desktop IMAC like mentioned above???

I did have a intel core duo with my macbook pro before and it worked well (for me?) but the only applications I used was final cut and barely apple color. I plan on getting aftereffects w/ macs and dabbling with that program with my new I3 mac desktop soon. I mean how much slower or faster is this really? Are they any tests about how much time it takes to process IE 10 mins compared to 5 mins when using programs aforementioned?...

So yes, just wondering if it's possible to upgrade and take out one processor for another later on down the line w/ the computer I have now listed as:
    Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera.

Thanks guys! I think I might just keep what I got because the quad 4's are about 200-400 out of my budget!

--Patrick

I think its possible it it will void your warranty.
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Video Macintosh Mac OS X